Sheet Music App - for Mac or Windows!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LastLine, Oct 9, 2006.

1. LastLine macrumors 65816

Hey all,

Looking for a simple little App here - something that'll let me program in (via drag and drop or similar) some sheet music including chords and play it back as if played by a Piano or similar instrument.

Does need to be simple though - I'm hopeless musically!

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Try Sibellus or Finalé. I think one of those suites has a cut-down version you could try.

3. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Hm, Finale has a demo version that doesn't save - an unfortunate constraint all considered.

We're on a desperate rush to find some music for our School's harvest festival on Monday. I've got the sheet music and just need some way to make it hearable.

Anyone any good with a keyboard and garage band? :p

4. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

I am a composer in Chicago. I use Finale. I've tried Sibelius a few times and I simply don't like it.

Finale has a free version: NotePad. Try it out.

Edit: If you have the sheet music, you can scan it and Finale will create the file for you.

If you need help, send me a message through the forums and we can talk via email or AIM.

5. baleensavage macrumors 6502a

My wife uses Melody Assistant for all the composing she does. It's a shareware and costs like $20. It may not be as slick as Sibelius, but it has a whole lot of features for a $20 app.

6. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Blah must confess I tried that and found it extremely frustrating. perhaps because I'm no musician. lol. Just couldn't get it to work right. Maybe I'll dust off my keyboard and give that a go.

7. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

In my experience, you need a reasonable base competancy in music to be able to make use of something like Finale or Sibelius. They are designed for musicians. What is it exactly you're trying to do? If you give us an idea of the sorts of projects you're interested in doing, someone might be able to suggest appropriate software.

8. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Basically I've got a couple of simple pieces of music (I think) that I need to have someone (real or computerised) play at a school assembley on Monday afternoon -however as our pianist is ill I'm in a bind. They're designed for beginners I think (or at very most 'amateurs') so shouldn't be tricky - I just don't have the talent myself that's all :p

9. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

Ask around for a local pianist. Recordings created by notation programs sound pretty bad.

10. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah we've got one booked - it's just the price is pretty massive for what we're doing. lol - it's just a lazy mans way of getting out of it this :p

11. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

I'm not sure of the quality you need, but you may be able to call a local piano teacher and ask if there's a student who'd be willing to perform for you, if you explain the circumstances. Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky. Besides it could be an exciting opportunity for the student to perform for a large audience.