Shell Script Running and Password Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by skinicod, Jul 6, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Hello All,

I have written the following script, which is intended to run at login:

Code:
    mv /Library/"Application Support"/Digidesign/"Plug-Ins"/* /Library/"Application Support"/Digidesign/"Plug-Ins (Unused)"/

file=~/Desktop/"Plugins List.txt"
    while IFS= read -r line
    do
            mv "/Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins (Unused)/$line" "/Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins/"
    done <"$file"
    mv "/Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins (Unused)"/XPand* "/Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins/"

The code runs fine except for certain files I get the following feedback:

Code:
    mv: rename /Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins (Unused)/Wurlitzer V.dpm to /Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins/Wurlitzer V.dpm: Permission denied
    I have changed the ownership of the shellscript to be root:admin, and added a line to my visudo:

Code:
    # User privilege specification
    root    ALL=(ALL) ALL
    %admin  ALL=(ALL) ALL
    OldBoyMusic     ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:/plugin.sh
    Any ideas why these files are not copying? if I log into terminal as a root user I can move them with no problems at all.

Secondly, does anyone know how I can get this script to run at login, I have tried setting up a plist in LaunchAgents, but this has not worked.

Thanks in advance for your responses,

cheers,

skinicod.

2. macrumors 68040

The absolute easiest way is to use login items, you just need to add your script there. It's in system preferences under accounts.

3. macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Found this to help automate sudo commands. Might be worth giving a shot.

Code:
    if [ $UID -ne 0 ]; then
    sudo $0
    else

<SCRIPT GOES HERE>

fi

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Amazing, thank you both - exactly what I needed. In case anyone is interested I found this link - which describes how to make a shellscript run in the background, by making it part of an AppleScript App.

Thanks again,

Skinicod.