Shenandoah Valley, VA AT&T coverage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by madriver, Aug 18, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Anyone have experience with AT&T coverage in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia? I'm in Lexington, but interested in iPhone users' experiences in Lexington, Staunton, Roanoke, and the surrounding areas. Preferably someone who lives in the area and has an iPhone.

I'm with Verizon currently, and their rural Valley coverage is ok, but spotty. Is AT&T's better or worse - especially off the Interstates and out of the small towns?

Thanks in advance
    - Hopeful future iPhone user

2. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

In general, I've heard that Verizon has pretty good coverage in that area, while AT&T is a bit spottier. And of course you wouldn't get 3G data coverage on the iPhone, just the slower EDGE speeds.

That said, I don't have any direct experience with either carrier in the area, so I'm not much help.

(Love Lexington...my wife went to W&L and we were married in Lee Chapel last fall. :) )

3. macrumors 6502

I do not live out there but I am out there at least once a month for work and I never have any problems with coverage, although I do stay pretty close to 81 whenever I am in that area

4. macrumors 6502

I'm familiar with the 81/Roanoke/Blacksburg area and I haven't had any problems with AT&T coverage there. Just don't go too far out from the city area :rolleyes:

You can check the coverage map here:

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

Its fairly accurate.

5. macrumors member

Nice! '95 grad myself. I am dying to get back to lexington for a visit. Small world.

6. macrumors regular

TheRiseofTheFal

Class of '10 myself!! glad to hear about some other W&L mac users out there! I'm heading back to school tomorrow and can give you all an update of how my experience goes! :apple:

7. macrumors regular

Not as good as Verizon in the area, but adequate. In the towns is fine, as is along the interstate. Rural coverage is non existant.