Sherlock 3 Slow

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by swahilibill, Sep 12, 2002.

1. swahilibill macrumors 6502

hi guys, I love Jaguar and everything about and I cant wait for that rendevous itunes and the philips stuff, but the only thing that I am not crazy about is Sherlock 3's speed. It seems to take a while when you click on a channel, and I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Thanks in advance!

2. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

It is slow on my PowerBook 667. I wonder what kind of system Steve has at the keynote, because it flys on it.

3. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

<crosses fingers>

dual 1.25 dual 1.25......

...like the one I ordered from my bud BackDawg...you da man with the prices...

lil' shout out there....cant wait till my fast baby gets here...yeah

4. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

my 500mhz g3 is no beast, but sherlock seems unusually slow in loading channels as well. even the channel menu icons take a little while to load. hopefully the speed issues are some kind of software issue can be ironed out in future updates.

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

It has a lot to do with your internet connection, so it might not be sherlock at all. My connection is fast, and it loads at a medium speed under my 450 MHz g4 (AGP).

6. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

false. it is just as slow at work (T1) as it is at my house (256 kb dsl).

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

that t1 at your work has a lot of people using it. It does have a lot to do with your internet connection. The T1 at my school is 10x slower then my cable at home.

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Okay this is going to shoot all your theories out of the water and make you realise that Sherlock 3 is just slow and buggy.

I'm running a Dual 1Ghz/DDR with 1gig of ram etc.. Also I am running on a cable modem that I conistently get in excess of 200KB/s downloads on. Sherlock 3 is slow on this system even though most everything else is blazing and just overall astoundingly fast. It takes approx. 5secs to switch between channels. I alos have had Sherlock 3 redraw incorrectly and even hang between channels and require force quits.

This is not because of system mods etc.. I do not run any system haxies except for a mouse speed up hack. Also I run the system permissions repairs frequently.

9. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

I have a 667 tibook and a cable modem that i consistently get an excess of 380 kbs and its not slow for me. It takes 3 secs at the most to switch between channels and thats just when you first bring them up. After that its instantaneous.

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

You're right about the fact that after they load they switch back and forth instantaneous. I was also checking out load times for different channels and movies takes longer while others are shorter.

I use to get in excess of 500KB/s on my cable modem with a peak once around 800KB/s and these were not cached items. This was before @Home had really taken off in my area. Once they got it established they limited everyones downloads speeds where as before it was completely open to take as much available bandwith as it could provide. Though the good news is they have recently doubled my max upload speed (which was always limited). Though I don't know a way to test this it is much faster uploading.

Basically it looks like Sherlock 3 is mostly bandwith limited it apparently has to download each channel or update each channel every time you open it.

11. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

i'm running on a school broadband connection and if i'm downloading from the right place can get about 100+k download speed (not blazing but not incredibly slow). the speed of download really should not have much of an impact on how quickly the pannels load, they're just nib files stored on the hard disk, its the information that takes a while to get there (just because i'm running on a 56k at home does not make my web browser start up any slower). even at the channel select menu, the icons take a second to display themselves, a problem which does not happen in any other app. the icons are already sitting in the toolbar, why would it take that much effort to display them in the pane below it? i think macbandit's origional statement is what's really going on; just like ichat and ical (and 10.2 for that matter), sherlock 3 does not have all of the bugs ironed out.

12. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I do believe also not that there are just bugs but that it actually goes out on the net when you select a channel and updates the information for that panel right then.

13. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

iChat needs some major work, but I am digressing.

I get about the same speeds as MacBandit with my 450 MHz g4, on cable where most d/ls are 200 kb +.

14. Choppaface macrumors 65816

sherlock was always very slow, that's why i always kept a copy of find file handy for pre-OSX machines :D

I tried it when I got jaguar....still not impressed by features, and very unimpressed with speed...and no google search? WTF?!!!

but THANK YOU APPLE for making the file find feature finder integrated and separating it from sherlock's crap.... fast file finding is back! :D

15. ibjoshua macrumors 6502a

ibjoshua

i have to totally agree with the chop. i never really used sherlock except for finding files.

on a related note has anyone noticed that Mac Help is painfully slow to load?

it seems they have rebuilt it so that all compliant help libraries are searchable via the one interface, the Help center - nice move but needs some optimisation work.

i_b-joshua

16. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Welcome to the wonderful world

Of Web Services.

A plausible explanation that I've heard is that Sherlock is a small app that let's the Web Services site do most of the heavy lifting.

Watson on the other hand is a larger app(3MB or so) and keeps more things stashed locally and then "updates" or so over the web. Download the Watson demo to check out if this is true and speed is better.

17. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

MacHelp loads nearly instantaneously for me.

18. ibjoshua macrumors 6502a

ibjoshua

hmmmm..

19. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Sherlock 3 is much better now after the 10.2.1 update. The channels load much faster.

20. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

it loads like the control panel use to load. the first visit to a channel is slow, going back to a channel is fast. overall, the speed is unacceptable to me

21. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Load times still vary depending on what channel you go to. This is for all first time loads. Things like internet, movies, stocks load in about a second. Flights and a few others take about 3 seconds though I have noticed this has even changed at different time it take only about a second (first load of the channel).

22. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I was right it does load each channel off the net when you first click on them. I went to do a language translation today and I clicked on Translation and it says.

This channel is tempararily unavailable.

Check back soon.

So I went to babelfish.com to do the translation and pasted it in and guess what babelfish.com gave an error because there service is down. Also in the I have tried both recently and compared them that being Sherlock 3 and babelfish.com and there translations are always exactly the same error for error. So I put 2 and 3 together and came up with the most obvious answer that Sherlock 3 pulls from babelfish.com for translations. Now to figure out where the other channels are searching at.

23. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Macbandit, I applaud your sleuthing. You make a compelling argument. However, if you want to find out where other channels are searching, look at the bottom of each channel. Sherlock tells you who powers the page.

24. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Uh. Thanks.:eek:

Sometimes the answer is starring you in the face.:rolleyes: