Sherlock...dead?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by donniedarko, Oct 2, 2005.

1. donniedarko macrumors regular

I have done a search and as expected it seems Sherlock is dead- Despite what some say I found the ebay feature and movie feature very usable-
    I did a recommended fix as posted earlier but with no success- Might someone know the deal?
    thanks
    dd

2. Ti_Poussin macrumors regular

Ti_Poussin

Sherlock doesn't fit in the plan Apple seem to have. I believe, his feature are taken over with Dashboard. Anyway, Sherlock was only really usefull for USA people, outside, many feature never have been implement. It's only bad in one way, guess Watson would still be around if Sherlock wasn't taking over it.

I just hope Apple just ain't going to take over small compagny like that (Watson vs Sherlock, Konfabulator vs Dashboard...) and kill those projects. It's good if they buy it to be a part of the OS and integrate it more deeply, but compition isn't fair from the compagny who own the OS (Apple sometime is a Microsoft wanna be, please zealot don't bash, or if you do explain yourself, it just my opinion).

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

What fix did you try? Deleting (in your home folder) Library:Caches:Sherlock:WebFoundation often helps. In the last month or so, the information coming back from the servers has been causing some really weird things to happen; services come and go, appear in the wrong language, and so on.

4. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

hmm. I havent used Sherlock in a while but I really did like that program. Mostly the movie feature to click on the movie and see times and trailers right there

5. RacerX macrumors 65832

Personally, I think once you've used the term zealot you've pretty much invited any amount of bashing and flaming you get.

:rolleyes:

Well, back to the subject at hand...
    Apple never got the concept behind Watson, and actually most people didn't get it.

The idea was to create an application that would simplify and speed up production of web services apps. Watson would provide the application front end and developers could make the tools that worked within Watson.

The reason that Watson had potential was that it was written in Cocoa and the tools were fairly easy to make. Sherlock's failings were that it was written in Carbon and exceptionally difficult to write for.

But in the end, Apple releasing Sherlock killed the market for Watson... and people who used Sherlock missed the importance of Watson's concept.

While Dashboard and Konfabulator are both easy environments to write for, they do not provide the same web services application front end that Watson and other web services did. There is a separation between the rest of the system and Dashboard/Konfabulator that web services didn't have.

I still use Watson today (I started using it back in 2001) though many of the tools have since died off. Sun (who bought Watson) had promised to release a new version back in October of 2004. Obviously it is a year over due... mainly because (like Apple) Sun really didn't get the importance of Watson either.

6. donniedarko thread starter macrumors regular

I have done this- :( No good result though

7. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Yeah this is odd, seems like it's disappearing. I have a screenshot I took today, odd eh? Maybe Apple is getting rid of the service, bah, who knows.:confused:

Attached Files:

8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

A solution I read about somewhere else that also worked for me:

• Go to Library/Caches/Sherlock inside your home directory.
    • Delete all the files inside the WebFoundation folder.
    • Get info on the WebFoundation folder, and change the ownership and permissions to "You can Read only".

If you then stop and restart Sherlock, things should go back to normal, well, as normal as they had been a few months ago. You won't have a cache of course, but it seems to work.

(Described above too, but I forgot to mention the read-only part.)

9. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i would agree that sherlock is probably being killed off by apple with the view of using dashboard instead. I'm sure that if you look around on hte apple download pages that there will be widgets that will do all that sherlock can do.

i would expect that in 10.5 that sherlock will not even exist!

10. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

11. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I was at my friend's house today and since he just got his iBook, I was showing him some cool stuff on it and we opened Sherlock and went to the Movie section and for some reason, none of the trailers we tried would play. Pressing the play button didn't have any effect at all. It does the same thing on my eMac. Anyone else have this problem? It's not really a big deal, since we can watch trailers on iTMS, but I was just wondering if anyone else had the problem.