Sherlock, Phone Book Dead...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CubaTBird, Aug 4, 2005.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Well for me at least, sherlocks phone book service is now kaput... that along with the picture search feature.. but that one has been dead for a good year already :p ... looks like sherlock is slowly fading away...

Attached Files:

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

3. CubaTBird thread starter macrumors 68020

go figure.. and this was one of the "big" things of jaguar back in the day... lol, widgets will prolly go the way sherlock did by the time 10.6 comes around... :(

4. Gwendolyn macrumors member

What a shame. I noticed about a month ago that the map section of it was crossed out by a large red X and a message about not subscribing to the service, and now you're right--it's gone altogether. The AccuWeather channel died a few months ago, too. Now I probably will only use it for movies, unless they really do bring the Phone Book back (with maps please!).

5. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Why are they killing Sherlock off? Is the justification that there are Dashboard widgets that replace the functionality that was in Sherlock?

I'm planning to upgrade to Tiger, you know, soon, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I am missing some of the Sherlock features, though (most notably the phone book).

6. Noiseboy macrumors regular

I found to my annoyance that Sherlock was behaving very oddly yesterday and a search of the Apple discussion forums pointed to the end of Sherlock altogether. The movie/cinema search channel is gone (which is what I used it most for) and everyhting else seems to be expiring or turning into foreign languages for no apparant reason. It's all unusable.
    I posted a response with my feelings that this was a poor way of getting people to cough up for Tiger and within a short time got an email from Apple telling me that my post had been removed and that I should read the forums rules, touchy touchy eh? Perhaps if they were a bit more open about ditching support for software that people use daily without a word.......... :(

7. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Yuck. Well, that answers my question. Was still going to upgrade to Tiger pretty soon, but wanted to let them shake out some of the bugs for the first few releases. ;)

8. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I *really* don't expect too even see Sherlock ship with Leopard.

9. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

The stock channel also fails to account for stock splits when drawing charts. This makes it seem like the stock is cut in half when it splits (if it were 2 for 1). I'm sure Apple doesn't make their own charts so it isn't their fault, but it is their fault for not staying on top of things and changing the source of the charts.

And to think, Apple stole* Sherlock 3 from Watson...and now Watson is gone.

*"Stole" in the same sense as Dashboard from Konfabulator and "Apple-Tab" from LiteSwitch X...however you view that to be.

Attached Files:

10. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

I'm impressed so many people still use Sherlock. I hated it right from the start, so I wasn't too disappointed when it faded away, but I guess it has a userbase... i didn't realize.

11. no0neelse macrumors newbie

I didn't know sherlock was an old program. (I'm an apple newb). But I really like it for movie times and language translation. I hope they keep it. Or offer something else like it.

12. Noiseboy macrumors regular

I think you can pretty safely kiss it goodbye, it's dead in the water which is a real shame, it was a fairly solid app that had a buch of stuff all in one easy user interface. I used the dictionary, the translator, the movie guide and the Applecare knowledge base on a regular basis. I just hate the way it's being quietly disposed of. We love Apple for being the innovaters they are but they're' unfortunately, not above being a bit devious :(

13. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Not yet.

I stumbled across a fix and posted it on Apple's board, so here it is:

select the Sherlock application icon and press command i for "get info"

click the "languages" triangle and uncheck all the languages except english.

go to your user library folder/caches/sherlock and delete the web foundation folder.

Launch sherlock and all will be well again - sort of. The channels (the ones that are still working, not the yellow pages and picture channels) will load anew each time you launch sherlock. For some reason, after doing the above, channels are no longer cached in the web foundation folder and forces Sherlock to load the channel each time you launch the program and select a channel. If you have a high-speed connection, it's not a big deal, but if you are on dial-up keep in mind Sherlock will have to load any channel you select each time you quit and relaunch the program.

Hopefully, Apple will have a permanent fix for this soon.

14. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Sorry for the double post, but I found an easier solution:

You don't have to uncheck all of the languages per my pervious post.

Instead, Navigate to your user folder/library/caches/sherlock/web foundation

Open the web foundation folder and press command a (for select all)

Drag all of the selected contents to the trash and empty the trash.

Navigate back to user folder/library/caches/sherlock/web foundation and select the web foundation folder. Press command i (for get info)

In the get info window, check "locked"

Launch Sherlock and all of the previously working channels should load and continue to do so. When you quit the program and relaunch, each channel you select will reload again (because the channels are no longer being cached).