Sherlock pwns!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by CubaTBird, Jul 23, 2004.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

What are u guys talking about, when you click on other channels there are a bunch of 3rd parties supporting sherlock! :)

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

What are we talking about here?

I didn't hear anyone talking about anything, actually. :confused:

3. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

I'm confused too. Was this supposed to be a reply in a different thread? Perhaps you hit "New Thread" instead of "Post Reply"?

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Or he's talking to himself...

but sherlock is the best, I'll give him that much.

5. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Sherlock gets pwned for me when I'm looking at movie listings, then click for a map to the theater. I may never see a movie again.

6. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

pwns?

i feel like an old man now. i've heard this acronym around for a few weeks, but what exactly does 'pwns' stand for? and yeah, Sherlock does pwns. especially since karelia is selling its source to sun microsystems and "watson" as we know it should be cross platform. blah. i had a place in my heart with Watson and Sherlock III. mac exclusive gems far above their time in this internet exploder world. hopefully Tiger makes Sherlock even better. panther didn't do much then change the interface a little.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

"Owns", as in "I own you!".

See here.

8. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

I didn't realize that pwns has become accepted slang for owns (which of course is slang itself). I always assumed that is was just people missing the o key and hitting the p instead. I can't believe that people are actually doing this on purpose now.

9. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

I would not be suprised if it started that way.

10. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Don't worry, I'm just as clueless as you are and I'm only 15.

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm a lot older than that, and I had to look it up. I personally think it's a bit stupid, but that won't stop it from catching on.

12. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

thanks for clearing that up. i was assuming the 'p' did have something to do with possession, but its all about typos. i've seen it alot lately on mmorpgs. so its kinda like w00t! cause you can't actually say it, but only type it. with all of these new internet slangs. i really wish they would stick to a standard.

-for shizzim :cool:

13. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Yeah, a definite thanks for clearing that up as well. I've been using messageboards and whatnot for years now and never found a solid definition...I guess it ended up pwning me! (somehow that feels really right..)

-J

14. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Yeah "pwns" is right up there with "sux0rs" "1337" "teh" and other hacker talk. Frankly its the most pathetic thing I have ever seen. Slang phrases are one thing, but seriously those are so beyond irritating that it just boggles my mind. I will never understand why "haxors" feel the need to use them. Is it some sort of us vs. them mentality? Frankly it strikes of an attempt to be cool. Something I had hoped would fade away after high school, but sadly I saw continued in college. *sigh* rant done.

15. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

why dont we stop useing the and replace it with something much harder to type...my suggestion would be

thrutyyturuuurififie..... hey it might catch on

i think that thrutyyturuuurififie world is in a state when we dont speak english anymore

16. tangent23 macrumors newbie

hi, i'm new here, though been lurking for a while... :)

i think that pwn would have originated from mistyping the o, but then becomes kind of a joke to deliberately write it like that, then passes into the internet vernacular.

although the original own has it's own definitions as slang, pwn adds to it a net-only twist, allowing the idea to take on a slightly new varietal meaning.

on another forum i post to, it was a joke to write 1 as an exclamation point

eg that movie was wild!!!!!!!!!1111 [<taking the shift key off early]

it enables differentiation between spoken and written slang, an in joke shared between peopl communicating in this new wonderful medium called the internet..

that's just the nature of language, spoken and written...

like mobile phone texting has it's own phrasing and meanings, even emoticons really :D

cheers, that's all i wanted to say...

17. 7on macrumors 601

7on

18. Earendil macrumors 68000

Earendil

Hate to be nit picky, but if Slang had a standard, it wouldn't be slang ;)

I always thought that pwns was a shortened version of "pawned". In WarcraftIII, and other places, to be "pawned" means to be killed. But more so than killed, it means that you killed someone with ease or in a stupid way. I always figured it was taken from Chess, as to kill a Pawn isn't all that hard to do.

to say "I just pawned you", or "Yo boi i just pawned yo a$$!!!!!!!!! lolololo" depending on age, means that you just beat some one in an embarrassingly easy way.

That's what I figured pwns was. To say Sherlock pwns would be to say it beats the competition in an embarrassingly easy way.

...But "owns" works too :D

I'm 19, but don't know the answer to this question.
    Did MC Hammer coin the phrase "can't touch this" or was that a widely used phrase before the song? Because though the phrase makes sense on some level, in reality it doesn't :)

Tyler
    Earendil

19. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

i'm going to vote for purposeful misspelling, if only because people have been misspelling things on purpose long, long before the AOL chatroom existed.

according to the OED:
    ("orl korrekt" being a misspelling for "all correct.")