Sherlock Taken Over?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by besler3035, Apr 14, 2005.

1. besler3035 macrumors 6502

Oct 29, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    When I searched Google to see if Sherlock was going to be updated it pointed me towards this Apple link:

The only thing is, it redirects directly to Dashboard. Does this mean that Sherlock, even though it's on the tech specs page of Tiger's website, might slowly be faded out for Dashboard? I really don't see any purpose of the program because of Dashboard now.
  2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i dont use Sherlock, and i wouldnt be surprised to see it faded out, no loss for me personally
  3. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

Jul 10, 2001
    Torrance, Californizzel
    I think your right..I was thinking about this a while back....Dashboard is supposed to give you stock quotes, etc..., the same thing that Sherlock is supposed to do...I believe it will be phased out....
  4. auxplage macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2004
    Virginia Beach
    Well, considering every Widget in Dashboard has a Sherlock equivlant (or pretty much so), then I think it will slowly fade away. Who needs something that was originally part of Mac OS 8.5 anyways?
  5. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    Well, I won't miss Sherlock, I don't even think I've used it once in the past few years.
  6. nuclearwinter macrumors regular

Nov 3, 2003
    Milky Way
    uh... what's sherlock?

j/k :) I have never once used it or even opened it since i got my powerbook on september 16, 2003. eh... who cares. I opened it just now to see what it does. altogether useless now in light of dashboard. even since the release of konfabulator, sherlock seems superfluous.
  7. ryan42 macrumors 6502

Dec 3, 2003
    Near Houston, TX
    I for one use Sherlock almost daily. I love how it does searches. That's just me.
  8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I used to use it too... I think Firefox's search plugins (or Acidsearch on Safari) kinda overcame my need for it, alongside a lot of the newer search engines. Now I can just flick it over to Google maps to do maps or driving directions, etc.... speaking of which, I should get some sort of yellow or white pages plugin....
  9. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

Mar 2, 2005
    Actually, I used it alot for translations from English to Spanish, but now I'm really excited that Tiger will come with a REAl dictionary and translator! :D :D :D
  10. adam1185 macrumors regular

Apr 30, 2004
    Dashboard's translation is actually the exact same as sherlock's so its no surprise they're fading Sherlock out. Dashboard is Sherlock.
  11. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Feb 27, 2005
  12. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Sep 13, 2002
    at the edge
    I personally don't look forward to having a bunch of Dashboard widgets cluttering my desktop, but I did find some of Sherlock's features quite handy, and I'm glad to see that Apple hasn't abandoned the spirit of Sherlock, even if it comes in a different form now.
  13. adam1185 macrumors regular

Apr 30, 2004
    Ah yes, but that's why Dashboard is hidden and isn't on your desktop! Although with all the widgets that will eventually come out, we're almost going to need an expose on the dashboard to handle it better.
  14. ricebag macrumors member

Aug 31, 2004

I used Sherlock some for translations, yellow pages, and white pages. I found it handy. I hope the interfaces for these functions are just as good in Dashboard widgets as in Sherlock. I also love the movie interface, although it's not useful to me since my local theater isn't listed.
  15. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    I use Sherlock daily, mainly for the dictionary and thesaurus and the odd bit of translation. Of course, these features are all in Dashboard so the demise of Sherlock is not that great a loss really.
  16. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales
    After reading this... i had to look for sherlock! I can't believe it's sitting in my Applications folder.. how strange.

It's got a completely different layout to how I remember it... but it's as slow as I remember it! Oh well.. Good riddance.

Dashboard :)
  17. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Sherlock was originally to search your hard drive, and other things. Meta-search I think it was called.... it combined a lot of stuff into one.

Sherlock then added features. It could do different things. But it wasn't all that good.

Then Watson came out.

Then Sherlock dropped hard drive searching support, returning it to the Finder, and started to become like Watson... but Watson's lesser-known-for-a-good-reason cousin.

Sherlock, now, doesn't do a whole heck of a lot...
  18. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    I used to use it a lot, and then forgot it was there... :)
  19. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
    I use Sherlock daily, but that's just me. I'm sure once I get Tiger, Dashboard will replace it for me.
  20. Platform macrumors 68030

Dec 30, 2004
    Well Dashboard has a lot of sherlock's featuers so why have something old taking up sapce ;)
  21. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    Personally, I never use Sherlock. I think the concept is very cool, but I just never use it. But I think I'm going to use the Dashboard a lot - it basically stays out of my way in every way possible (nothing in the dock, no windows, no menubar items, nothing), yet will be right there when I need it. Brilliant!
  22. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2003
    I liked the movie thing, and i wish the map/phonebook thing worked better cuz then i woulda used it. Sherlock is weird because I look at all its features and they all seem very useful, but they mostly so slow and so poorly implemented that they are unusable. Also it is so unintegrated with the rest of the system. Most people never even use sherlock, because unless they decide to open it out of curiousity, there is no reason for them to check it out. Apple should have built some kind of safari/finder/sherlock linking system.
  23. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

Dec 9, 2001
    State of Denial
    I still use it, primarily for movies, since it's better for getting all the relevant information (including trailer, which is a real pain on most sites) in one place. Too bad it's integrated with Moviefone rather than Fandango.
  24. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

Feb 16, 2005
    Ontario, CA
    I agree, since safari has issues with ebay, i use sherlock for searching items on ebay. Doesn't hog memory and its fairly ez to use. Also use it for movie search. So sad, bye sherlock...
  25. kugino macrumors 65816

Jul 10, 2003
    sherlock is/was useless...watson was so much better, but they're not developing for it anymore so slowly, the different channels are becoming obsolete. four things i'd like to see dashboard widgets for:

- ebay, to keep track of items
    - versiontracker
    - packages
    - t.v. stations

hmmm...maybe i'll create them myself...