Sherlock - Why do I want news from Japan?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by dotnina, Sep 5, 2004.

1. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Today I discovered Sherlock -- it's much more rad than I originally thought. Hurrah for Sherlock.

So anyway, I was customizing the toolbar when I noticed a news option -- News from Japan. Fine and well, but there were no options for news from other places -- say I don't know, the US (where I am)?

Needless to say, I found this odd. I bought my machine in the US and everything's in English, so why do I have the option for news (presumably about Japan, in Japanese) and not the option for news (about the US / World in general, in English)?

Just curious! Thanks!

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yep, it's just another example of how US-centric Sherlock is ;)

Try looking under "other channels" instead of "Apple channels," WorldNews might be more to your liking. It picks up Yahoo, BBC and CSM, and you'll have a pull-down to narrow the news to the categories you want.

3. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Man, why do you want Sherlock??!

I find better places around the net for all of Sherlock's services. Unless it gets zapped up in power come Tiger I'm going remove it to spare up a couple of megs of valuable hard drive space!

4. dotnina thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I used to think Sherlock was useful only for computer / internet newbies. Now I realize it's actually more useful than it initially seems (for some things, anyway). The "Stocks" thing tracks news and shows a graph about whichever stocks you like -- all of them are neatly organized in a chart for you. The "Movie" finder is so rad -- you immediately get a trailer / description / showtimes / runtime / movie poster for whichever movie you'd like.

I know you can do these things with a browser "the old fashioned way," but it saves a lot of time not having to go from page to page and look up everything individually.

5. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

That's my favorite part, and actually, the only part I really use. It's just convienent and quick.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've never used Sherlock, but I just opened it and I'm also seeing only Japan.

7. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Where is this "news" option you guys are seeing? I can't even find that

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

10. dotnina thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

In my "Other Channels", I mostly have information for the U.K.

12. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Me too, and there isn't a Japanese news channel in the Apple Channels. Interesting, anyone know why that would be different?

13. lisius_kent macrumors member

SLOW!

I have used it a couple of times, im on dialup ir takes an extreemly long time to do anything!