Shift Key Fell Off MBP!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by derajfast, Mar 31, 2006.

1. derajfast macrumors 6502a

Well I was just typing a review of my MBP, hit shift to capitalize, and the shift guy just plain fell off. I didnt break it, just fell off. So now I just have an empty spot on the keyboard, and the shift key on my desk. PLEASE HELP me. I know I could go to the apple store, but if i could save a trip, id greatly appreciate it.

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Put it back in.......

don't know if they are the same as on the powerbook, but if they are check out ifixit.com for how to do it

3. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

i only saw a guide on there on how to replace the whole keyboard

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

I'd bring it to the Apple Store if it doesn't appear that it will just snap back on. You don't want to damage it permanently and then have them tell you it's not covered because you broke it.

5. hob macrumors 68020

hob

My W key fell off my powerbook, and they had to replace the whole bloody keyboard! UPS came round, took the 'book, and had it back to me in 2 days - not bad turnaround, but pretty inconvenient for such a seemingly insignificant problem!

6. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

If it has a little hinge on the bottom that looks like an "X" when you hold the key as it should lie on the keyboard, its the same system as the powerbook. Look up the key replacement guide for that.

I pulled off my right arrow key once by accident whilst trying to remove a crumb that had wandered in. It was quite a hassle to get it back on againl, but I managed after 10 mins or so.

Edit: here's a good guide from Apple http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88106

8. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah i looked at that......i cant get the front hinges to click though

9. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

ugh this is so annoying.....its 80 degrees here, and im going to be stuck in the mall for a few hours

10. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I assume you're typing from an apple store then? Should have made an appointment :):).

11. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

12. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Trust me, make an appointment. Even when I do that, they take a good half an hour before they see me (after my appointment time).

If the key isn't broken, it shouldn't be a big deal at all. They'll just pop that sucker back on.

13. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah but this is one of the mini stores, and nt many people will be there on such a nice day

14. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Lucky you...I gave Apple my PB with a hyperactive "K" key for keyboard replacement and I'm still waiting to get it back. It's been a week and a half...I'm getting a bit peeved.

15. lazyboy922 macrumors 6502

lazyboy922

16. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

I'm guessing you don't have an Apple repair center in your area? When you have minor problems like keyboard issues, the best thing to do is have them order the neccesary parts and they can repair it in a few hours.
    When I got my powerbook a year ago brand new one of the keys was also "hyperactive" I just emailed my local apple store, got them to order me a new keyboard, brought it in and picked it up a few hours later. Piece of cake!

17. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

How do you even find out where an Apple repair center is? I just went to the flagship Apple Store here in San Francisco...I don't know where the repair center is that they send stuff out to. They called me yesterday to say that my computer is ready for pick up, so I'm heading off to the Apple Store again within the hour. A week and a half for a simple keyboard replacement is a bit much, but I'll be glad to have my machine back.

18. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Well I'm guessing that they must not do any repairs in-house at the store in SF. My local apple authorized reseller here in rotterdam (its a full-blown Apple store, just not owned by Apple) does minor repairs in-house and sometimes even while you wait.
    I have to guess there must be apple repair "shops" in the SF area aswell. Just getting a good technician with the right parts can keep you out of the formal and (sometimes) slow Apple repair circuit.

Either way, at least you have your mac back again! :)

19. andreabc macrumors newbie

I followed the instructions on this link and managed to get my key back in in about 5!

20. Maccin475 macrumors member