Shift on Salmon Reignites Fight on Species Law

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, May 8, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002

2. Sayhey macrumors 68000

May 22, 2003
    San Francisco
    So now we can have a "Clear Streams" policy to go along with "Clear Skies." To bad we are clearing them of life. Can't have those pesky fish and birds mucking up our environment, now can we?
  3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Jul 4, 2003
    Terlingua, Texas
    Back in my Coastal Zone Management Days, I explained my view on environmental protection to oil company execs (and other such folks) as, "Do what you need to, so long as you don't screw up my hunting and fishing. I'm a right-wing redneck, and messing with my favorite doings aggravates me." Built into my view is that we don't pollute the water, we don't foul the air, and we don't mess up the land with hazardous waste. The response was commonly along the lines of, "Hmmm. I never thought about it that way. I see what you mean."

It's a shame, IMO, that the Sierra Club doesn't follow in the footsteps of John Muir, who wasn't against hunting. Imagine the lobbying strength of the SC and the NRA. People seem to forget that hunters spend more money directly on habitat preservation than any other group.

Anyhow, this ain't counting salmon; it's mis-counting.