Shiira 1.2.1 released!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lazyhound, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Lazyhound macrumors regular

Get it here: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.jp/shiira/18558/

I mention this only because it fixes the long-standing (and very aggravating) text-encoding bug. It's also the first Shiira Universal Binary release, I believe; the only other new feature I've noticed is autofill.

EDIT: V 'sup fellow New Brunswicker?

EDIT #2: V 'sup, fellow UNB student?

2. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

I like Shiira, I think it probably gets 30% of my browser time, and thanks to the addition of Auto Fill, I'll probably be using it even more. Thanks for the heads up on the new release :D

3. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the heads up.

Unfortunately it seems like the text encoding bug still exists (a fix for it isn't mentioned on the official Shiira site)

:(

4. Lazyhound thread starter macrumors regular

...No, I'm using it right now, it's fixed.

EDIT: OK, now it's popping up sporadically.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

They don't mention version 1.2.1, either, as far as I've seen in Japanese or in English.

6. Lazyhound thread starter macrumors regular

7. DaveP macrumors 6502

DaveP

I tried Shiira out and really liked it. But I found it takes up a lot of RAM compared to Safari.

8. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I'm giving Shiira a try right now.

How do you import bookmarks? I have all of my Firefox bookmarks exported to html and I'd like to import them into Shiira.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Go into the preferences and enable them.

10. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Thanks! I seen that in there, but looked over it for some reason. :D

EDIT: Been using Shiira for a little while now and wow, this thing flies. Definitely a speedy browser.

11. jhero macrumors 6502

jhero

12. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

mine keeps crashing on me :( i am always looking out for quick simple browsers but I cant use this...

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've never had it crash but I've had it freeze occasionally when a multi-media plug-in is active. Perhaps, it's the content or you have bad permissions.

14. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Yep, no crashes here, either. I've had a lot of tabs open at once, too.

EDIT: Okay, I take that back. Just crashed on me when I typed in my PayPal password and hit enter. Eh, I like Firefox better, anyway.

15. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

that it is the bug! it crashes whenever i try to type in a password...weird and sadly useless unless i can figure something out...

16. Lazyhound thread starter macrumors regular

For those of you getting crashes, go to Shiira>Preferences>Advanced and uncheck the AutoFill option, it isn't fully implemented.

17. vniow macrumors G4

Whenever I try to use Shiira to open up my homepage (http://google.com/ig) I get the "Too Many HTTP Redirects" error. Anyone else getting this and maybe know how to fix it?

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I see it now that I have the new version. I imagine that it'll be worked out quickly since everything else has been.

19. Heese macrumors newbie

im experiencing a weird bug. Im trying to log into my router settings and upon entering my name/password it says authentication canceled. I unchecked autofill. Safari works fine.

20. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I get the same error when trying to access my WRT54G's web setup page, too. :(

21. Project macrumors 68020

Shiira has to be the most beautiful and aesthetically pleasing application ive ever used now that i've customised the toolbar to my preference. Look at this:

[​IMG]

The attention to detail the designer puts into it becomes apparent after prolonged use too.

22. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

i had tried shiira out when it first started but did not like it all that much. I can say that since then it has gotten a lot better. It is quite nice. I would use it as my main browser if only there was a way to get it to display bookmarks in the bookmarks bar like camino. I have been using camino for a while now and i really do like that feature. Some of the other things that are missing annoy me but not enough to switch to another browser.

All in all, i like shiira and it has gotten much better

23. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

I'd be using it full-time if it got rid of a few quirks and had form autocomplete (from Address Book). It's a little harder to configure CocoaGestures for it too (just because the lack of window focus prevents some menu items from being easily selected). That said, performance-wise it crashes a lot less than Safari for me, and seems to not get as bogged down of javascript-intense site. All in all, it has shown great progress from its early days... I'm sure it's just a matter of time before the incidentals get taken care of and I can switch :).

24. Project macrumors 68020

Can you elaborate? I have all of my bookmarks in the bookmarks bar. Just drag them from the bookmarks drawer onto the bar. Or do you mean something else.

25. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

I do mean something else. Camino displays bookmarks in the bookmarks bar like this (see pic) while Safai/Shiira/FireFox displays them like this (see other pic).

If i could get Safari or Shiira to display bookmarks in the bookmarks bar like camino i would switch to using it.

Alas, i have not found a way to do that yet so i am sticking with camino. If ANYONE could find a way to make safari or shiira do this it would be GREAT!!

Attached Files: