Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lazyhound

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2005
Get it here: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.jp/shiira/18558/

I mention this only because it fixes the long-standing (and very aggravating) text-encoding bug. It's also the first Shiira Universal Binary release, I believe; the only other new feature I've noticed is autofill.

EDIT: V 'sup fellow New Brunswicker?

EDIT #2: V 'sup, fellow UNB student?

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
I like Shiira, I think it probably gets 30% of my browser time, and thanks to the addition of Auto Fill, I'll probably be using it even more. Thanks for the heads up on the new release :D

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
Thanks for the heads up.

Unfortunately it seems like the text encoding bug still exists (a fix for it isn't mentioned on the official Shiira site)

:(

Lazyhound

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2005
...No, I'm using it right now, it's fixed.

EDIT: OK, now it's popping up sporadically.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
terriyaki said:
Thanks for the heads up.

Unfortunately it seems like the text encoding bug still exists (a fix for it isn't mentioned on the official Shiira site)

:(

They don't mention version 1.2.1, either, as far as I've seen in Japanese or in English.

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
I tried Shiira out and really liked it. But I found it takes up a lot of RAM compared to Safari.

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
I'm giving Shiira a try right now.

How do you import bookmarks? I have all of my Firefox bookmarks exported to html and I'd like to import them into Shiira.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
FadeToBlack said:
I'm giving Shiira a try right now.

How do you import bookmarks? I have all of my Firefox bookmarks exported to html and I'd like to import them into Shiira.

Go into the preferences and enable them.

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
bousozoku said:
Go into the preferences and enable them.

Thanks! I seen that in there, but looked over it for some reason. :D

EDIT: Been using Shiira for a little while now and wow, this thing flies. Definitely a speedy browser.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
mileslong said:
mine keeps crashing on me :( i am always looking out for quick simple browsers but I cant use this...

I've never had it crash but I've had it freeze occasionally when a multi-media plug-in is active. Perhaps, it's the content or you have bad permissions.

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
bousozoku said:
I've never had it crash but I've had it freeze occasionally when a multi-media plug-in is active. Perhaps, it's the content or you have bad permissions.

Yep, no crashes here, either. I've had a lot of tabs open at once, too.

EDIT: Okay, I take that back. Just crashed on me when I typed in my PayPal password and hit enter. Eh, I like Firefox better, anyway.

Lazyhound

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2005
For those of you getting crashes, go to Shiira>Preferences>Advanced and uncheck the AutoFill option, it isn't fully implemented.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
mileslong said:
that it is the bug! it crashes whenever i try to type in a password...weird and sadly useless unless i can figure something out...

I see it now that I have the new version. I imagine that it'll be worked out quickly since everything else has been.

Heese

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2006
im experiencing a weird bug. Im trying to log into my router settings and upon entering my name/password it says authentication canceled. I unchecked autofill. Safari works fine.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Shiira has to be the most beautiful and aesthetically pleasing application ive ever used now that i've customised the toolbar to my preference. Look at this:

92688340_b16fe3ad2f_o.png

The attention to detail the designer puts into it becomes apparent after prolonged use too.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
i had tried shiira out when it first started but did not like it all that much. I can say that since then it has gotten a lot better. It is quite nice. I would use it as my main browser if only there was a way to get it to display bookmarks in the bookmarks bar like camino. I have been using camino for a while now and i really do like that feature. Some of the other things that are missing annoy me but not enough to switch to another browser.

All in all, i like shiira and it has gotten much better

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
I'd be using it full-time if it got rid of a few quirks and had form autocomplete (from Address Book). It's a little harder to configure CocoaGestures for it too (just because the lack of window focus prevents some menu items from being easily selected). That said, performance-wise it crashes a lot less than Safari for me, and seems to not get as bogged down of javascript-intense site. All in all, it has shown great progress from its early days... I'm sure it's just a matter of time before the incidentals get taken care of and I can switch :).

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
prostuff1 said:
I would use it as my main browser if only there was a way to get it to display bookmarks in the bookmarks bar like camino. I have been using camino for a while now and i really do like that feature.

Can you elaborate? I have all of my bookmarks in the bookmarks bar. Just drag them from the bookmarks drawer onto the bar. Or do you mean something else.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
Project said:
Can you elaborate? I have all of my bookmarks in the bookmarks bar. Just drag them from the bookmarks drawer onto the bar. Or do you mean something else.

I do mean something else. Camino displays bookmarks in the bookmarks bar like this (see pic) while Safai/Shiira/FireFox displays them like this (see other pic).

If i could get Safari or Shiira to display bookmarks in the bookmarks bar like camino i would switch to using it.

Alas, i have not found a way to do that yet so i am sticking with camino. If ANYONE could find a way to make safari or shiira do this it would be GREAT!!

Attachments

• Camino.jpg
    Camino.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 96
  • Safari:Shiira.jpg
    Safari:Shiira.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 102
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.