Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
I've never been a fan of shiira as it's a pretty ugly looking browser IMO. I do love webkit and the idea of shiira (and omniweb) which is using webkit and focusing on browser features. Seeing the screenshots of shiira 2.0 has gotten me really interested in what's to come. This might have been posted somewhere already, but I did a search and didn't see anything in a thread title.

-> http://mark.alittlenoise.com/blog/?p=22

The screenshots look amazing. I really can't wait to try out the public beta.

mark!

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
America
Kirbdog said:
Does anyone know where Shiira 2.0 Beta is posted? I really like Shiira but stopped using it when I got my iMac and it was not universal.

It is universal right now, and I have the beta 2 but it is in japenese, so if anyone wants the japenese one I'll give it to you. just pm me :)

EDIT: i find 2.0 much faster, but the preferences still have to be worked on. right now the interface looks funny because this is still in early development (sorta).

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
If the source can be trusted, the screenshots all look like show.

Shiira 1.2.x would be much better if simple things like auto-fill worked and the cursor didn't jump from field to field while trying to enter text.

mark!

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
America
bousozoku said:
If the source can be trusted, the screenshots all look like show.

Shiira 1.2.x would be much better if simple things like auto-fill worked and the cursor didn't jump from field to field while trying to enter text.

no, it looks like that. i have the beta. its...kinda...weird though.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
markkk! said:
It is universal right now, and I have the beta 2 but it is in japenese, so if anyone wants the japenese one I'll give it to you. just pm me :)

I've got the English one, though I can't quite remember where I found it. Anyway, it's nice I suppose, though I'm not sure I can figure out why it's any better than the current Shiira?

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
markkk! said:
no, it looks like that. i have the beta. its...kinda...weird though.

It's just good that he went with the Unified look-and-feel. I suspect we'll be seeing more of that with the translucent preference dialog boxes with Leopard. Hopefully, the system will be completely converted.

I'm sure that Shiira will continue to develop in good ways. I just hope that the functionality is improved, as well as the looks. I almost don't care how the browser looks but I still find Shiira a bit haphazard to use, in any language.

mark!

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
America
mduser63 said:
I've got the English one, though I can't quite remember where I found it. Anyway, it's nice I suppose, though I'm not sure I can figure out why it's any better than the current Shiira?

Can you zip the actual appication & send me one?
If you could that'd be teh great :)

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
INW
This looks good. These are all features I would have expected to see in Safari come Tiger, but it looks like Apple was still bringing their browser up to speed before building more bells and whistles into it (aside from RSS, I mean).

But what's up with those toolbar icons? Yegh. There are so many good and gratis sets floating around, you'd think they would have dropped in something a bit more... aesthetic, I suppose.

Anyway, I'm keen to see Shiira get out of beta and into my Applications folder. I'm looking for something Webkit-based but with more functionality than Safari.

cruxed

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2005
Hong Kong
Yes i concur, could you please send me one as well?? I have the one with the japanese preferencec panes, and it's a bit of a pain in the arse trying to figure out the options. I'll send you a PM.

cruxed

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2005
Hong Kong
Shiira 2 is going to be awesome if they continue developing the interface and the features at this rate...

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2002
Éire
There is no english version, but you can delete the Japanese localization from it and the main menus will be English. However, currently while this new Shiira may look a million times better, it still feels clunky and badly designed. Lots of graphical errors (yes it's a pre-alpha, ok).

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
grabberslasher said:
There is no english version, but you can delete the Japanese localization from it and the main menus will be English. However, currently while this new Shiira may look a million times better, it still feels clunky and badly designed. Lots of graphical errors (yes it's a pre-alpha, ok).

Yeah, sorry I didn't realize that the pref. panes are all in Japanese. The rest of the app is English though.

DisturbedSith

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2006
Bay Area
grabberslasher said:

How exactly would one delete the Japanese localization? And thanks to eji for putting up a link to the beta, should be fun.

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2002
Éire
DisturbedSith said:
How exactly would one delete the Japanese localization? And thanks to eji for putting up a link to the beta, should be fun.

Get Info on the app from Finder, and click the Languages heading

XNine

macrumors 68040
So far it's looking good. Though, even when I delete the localization file for Japanese, the Pref pane is still all in japanese.

things I want to see
"check spelling" option
Tabs like Safari
The Shelf to deactivate when clicked on
Drag/drop bookmarks in bookmark bar
scrolling in black menus
English version

I realize that this is a beta, or prototpe, so I'm not bitching. I think it's really nice so far, the rendering is lightning fast and even without all of these features it owns firefox and comino. But not Safari. Safari is still king until we get an offical 2.0 build. Then I have a feelign Shiira will be my main browser...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.