shiira: I'm impressed

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ppnkg, Mar 1, 2006.

1. ppnkg macrumors 6502a

ppnkg

I have just downloaded and installed shiira, and I must say I'm impressed. It look better than any other browser I have used (Safari, Firefox, Camino). And it seems to work fine - fast, too. I wonder if anybody uses it on a regular basis. Any known problems?

2. ahamilt2 macrumors member

I agree, it's a quality browser, and currently my default. I'm still finding a lot of bugs though, but not enough to make me switch back to firefox or Safari.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Agreed. Not my primary browser, but I've played around with it a bit and am very impressed with it so far.

4. ppnkg thread starter macrumors 6502a

ppnkg

Thanks! I'll use it for a few days and i'll wait for a few more comments before I add it to my dock for good. So far I can see it's a bit more demanding on cpu and uses more memory than safari, but I'm still very impressed.

5. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

i use it as my primary browser. i love it. it's faster than safari and tab expose makes web browsing on a 12" screen a joy. there are two things that really irk me, though. first off, the text encoding bug that encodes japanese characters regardless of the current setting. and second, the fact that 1.2.1 has so many problems with autofill regardless of whether it is on or off. I just stick with 1.2.

6. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

I wasn't so impressed. I don't know, just seemed a little buggy. Shiira reminds me of the beta versions of Safari that were floating around before the official release.

It's a good start, though. I could see it challenging Firefox for the #2 spot.

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Cannot use it (or Safari) due to a bug in Webkit that makes it crash if I close a tab with a search result from the search pages at my local public library (which I use a lot), especially if the search gave no results (and just a list of suggestions)... :(

Firefox, on the other hand, doesn't mind at all... :)

That said, I might prefer Shiira over Safari, if and when the above mentioned bug is fixed... ;)

8. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

Its been my primary browser for a few months now and I love it. :)

9. Sic macrumors 6502

shiira is my primary, too. i downloaded 1.2.1 yesterday and the login authentication thing doenst work properly (apparently not just for me, logging into cpanel/phpmyadmin is a no-go for me!) so i dropped back to 1.2 and all is well. hopefully they'll get the "keychain" thing sorted for the next release as that's the only thing that holds it back for me.

also, on forums, i view at around 40-80 ppp and it sometimes stops responding for a short while after i load the page, again, this is a negligable bug as it's smoother, faster and generally nicer to use than any of the other browsers.