Shiira no longer works (after security update)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by joecool85, Mar 13, 2006.

1. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I installed the update and shiira no longer works. Back to Safari for now.

2. Stacc macrumors 6502a

I too experienced this. Installing the nightly build of shiira did nothing to help this.

3. Redline13 macrumors 6502

It's working fine here after the update. Try repairing your permissions.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Not working here either. The menu bar loads, but that's it. The menu bar is non-functional, and quitting from the Dock icon doesn't work. It doesn't display as "not responding" so I can't force quit it from the Dock. I have to call up the Force Quit box to shut it down. :(

Edit: There's some discussion of it over at the Shiira forums, but no good resolution yet. If you delete ~/Library/Shiira/History.plist you can get it to launch. But of course launching the browser recreates the file, so Shiira won't open the next time you try to launch it unless you go in and delete History.plist again first.

5. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Really? What version of OSX are you on, and what version of shiira? It doesn't work on my powerbook or on my powermac since the update. Both are running 10.4.5

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Shiira 060303 seems fine here with the latest OS X updates applied.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Still no luck here with the official 1.2.1 release or the 060303 nightly build unless I delete History.plist. I'm on 10.4.5 PPC with all updates applied.

8. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Just tried it. Pretty sure I could repair permissions till I'm blue in the face and its not going to work. Are you guys on Intel? I'm using PPC on both my computers.

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

PPC. Just grasping at straws here, but are you running any unusual plugins?

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Indeed, but you must delete History.plist each time. Apparently, Apple changed some bits of WebKit so that Shiira can't read values. I suspect that OmniWeb users should be having trouble, too.

11. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Nope.

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

13. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

...or you can make the ~/Library/Shiira/ folder read only (temporarily until Shiira is updated) after deleting the History.plist file.

14. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Or you can download the updated version. ;)

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Ready already...? Goodie... :)

Was over at the site just a few hours ago, and then there wasn't anything new then, but I hadn't expected anything this soon, really... I'm getting more and more confidence in the Shiira makers... :cool:

Edit: 1.2.2 works like a charm... now, if Apple just fixes a major bug in Webkit which I run into every time I visit my local library on-line to search for stuff, we might have somthing here... ;)

16. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Shiira page transition effect

You guys look like dedicated Shiira users. I wanna see if you suffer from the same problem if you don't mind. I have just tried it over the weekend and it looks quite promising, except for the page transistion effect. I know, it is only eye candy, but still it'd be nice if it worked well. Right before the transition is complete, the background of the page gets painted bright white for a split second, like a "photobooth" flash. It is very distracting when transitioning between two pages that have dark backgrounds. Do you have the same problem?

Of course, in the first place, pages flip in the wrong direction for western language style, where book pages flip left to go forward, but Shiira does it opposite way. Not a big deal, but it is funny how some basic things change between different cultures.

17. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Nope...that doesn't happen for me. I love the page transition effect...pure waste of CPU cycles, but it's cool.

The page turn direction is kind of amusing, but I don't let it bother me. I just think of it as a stack of papers, and I'm flipping through them with my right hand.

18. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Hmmm, maybe it is because I have an intel one. Too bad they don't respond to bug reports on their website...

19. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

Ugh Auto Fill is still borked in 1.2.2

I can't access my WRT54G's web panel and I can't access my school's online storage because authentication is borked

:( :mad:

20. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Yeah, same here. So for now I just use safari for changing my firewall settings.