Shiira & Safari can't display text in italics?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by enpojken, Mar 9, 2006.

1. enpojken macrumors member

I don't know why, but this seems to have happened the other day. When Shiira & Safari bring up a page with italics the text becomes converted into random characters. This only happens in Shiira & Safari, not Firefox. Anyone know how to stop this?

I've attached an image to show you. If i copy and paste it into Textedit or something it translates to italics there, just not in the browser....

Attached Files:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Maybe try resetting Safari from the Safari menu. :)

3. enpojken thread starter macrumors member

Nope. Same thing. I've no idea what's going on.

4. emaja macrumors 68000

The fact that the titles of the stories are in the original Gaelic has nothing to do with your browser choice. Firefox just has a universal translator that puts it into English for you.

Riiiiiiiiight!!!!

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Not that it helps to fix anything, but those characters aren't random. Each letter in italics is being incremented by two.

Is this happening only on Wikipedia, or everywhere? Does changing the skin in the Wikipedia preferences (so that you get a different font) make a difference? If you play with different text encodings in the Safari View menu, does that change anything?

6. enpojken thread starter macrumors member

As I said, if "i copy and paste it into Textedit or something it translates to italics there, just not in the browser". This page just happened to have Joyce there. Every page with italics has this.

This is nothing to do with text encoding or anything is it?

I'll post another screen shot...

Attached Files:

7. enpojken thread starter macrumors member

Here's a better illustration... The web page is up in the background and I've copied it to the clipboard. When you look at the clipboard it is regular text. Am I missing something really obvious here?

Attached Files:

8. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Could be - what is your encoding setting at the moment (in Safari go Safari>Preferences>Appearance - not sure about Shiira).

Also, could you post some links so that we can see if it replicates on our systems?

9. emaja macrumors 68000

Apparently I was too subtle as that was a joke.

10. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It looks as though in every sample, you have the same font displayed (Helvetica or Arial, whatever). Notice that in your pasted example, a different font is being substituted. You may want to poke around in Font Book for any duplicates or corrupted fonts, perhaps disabling Arial and Helvetica variants one by one, restarting Safari each time, and seeing if the problem goes away.

Since the characters are consistently off by two, an encoding problem doesn't look too likely.