Shiites and Sunnis

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MACDRIVE, Oct 16, 2006.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

After Bush went into Iraq to remove Saddam Hussein, there has been a state of lawlessness allowing the Shiites and Sunnis to start killing each other off. My question is: how are they able to tell each other apart from one another? When I see Iraqis on the evening news, they all look the same to me. :confused:

2. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The same way Protestant Irish were able to discern Catholic Irish.

The difference between a Shi'ite and a Sunni is a religious schism created by the assassination of Ali at the Battle of Karbala in 680 AD. One of the things that confuses this relationship is the Kurds, who are actually an ethnic group who happen to be Sunni. Saudis are typically Sunni Arabs, while Iranians are typically Shi'ite Persians. Then you have groups in Iraq, like the marsh arabs, who are ethnically different from everyone else, but happen to be Sunni.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

easy, their names has some hint, as well where they goto pray, where they live, etc...

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Bush & gang didnt understand these people are first Sunni or Shiite before being Iraqi. A lot like republicans these days who are first Republican before being American:p

5. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

it seems that most are only republicans...

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Read this.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Wow, just amazing to think this kind of crap is still practiced on the otherside of the planet. This link by Mactastic just goes to show how Bush & gang were clueless, just clueless to this society that had to be ruled with the Iron fist of Saddam. I still say we should give it back to him and that George & Cheney should go into retirement or prison which ever comes first.

If civil war doesnt take over the whole country what will happen is the Shiites running it all since they are in the majority. Then we get a Shiite ran theocracy? Might as well get the heck out and hand it over to Saddam at least he knew what was going on which is a lot more then our two Hero's who couldnt be found for Vietnam. Its Ironic the very people hiding under their desks in the 60s and 70s are the same ones who falsely took us into Iraq. Cheney,Bush,Hastert,Libby,Rove,Frists,Delay....everyone found ways to avoid and skirt Nam. Now all pretending to be tough.

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

This is surprising saddening, I almost couldn't control myself, under whatever splendid ideology, this ridiculous war is pushing iraq back into stoneage. Those who claim their good will and continued to do so are either too stupid to be a human or purely devil.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Holy shiite that's sad....

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Hardly the stone age. How many years ago was the American Civil War? WW2? VietNam? This is what happens in any civil war. It's not exactly a surprise, terrible as it is.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And the affects of our civil war are still there. Why just today I was getting groceries, and in the parking lot was a pickup truck with a bumper sticker that had a confederate flag and said "The south was right".

When America can't even overcome it's blatant racism, there's no way in hell a country such as Iraq can.

12. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

ThankYou for that link mactastic, it answered all of my questions with explicit detail.

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Not to change the subject but the Civil war wasnt fought because of racism or slavery, It was economics.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

My point was that, whatever the cause, the fierce hostilities and resentments are still there, waiting to be reignited. It wouldn't take much.

15. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Was it the Rebel Flag or the Confederate Flag?

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

True, there is a reason Daddy Bush didnt take over Iraq and the arrogant son is finding out now that his actions has led to the deaths of thousands and thousands and thousands and it has taken the Clinton surplus and turned it into Billions of debt but Haliburton is making record profits and draft dodger Cheney is very Happy.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You're certainly welcome. And don't feel so bad -- you're far from being alone in a lack of knowlege about the differences between Sunnis and Shia.

18. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

You are missing the point, you think Armitage can bomb Pakistan back to stone age?

19. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

So what then is the solution for Iraq? What will get the Sunni's and Shiites resolved to running their country together.

Is there a solution other than installing another brutal Sunni controlled dictatorship?

20. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

or risking a regional war, depend on which one your prefer.
    actually, at this speed, 100 death/day, 0.2*12000000/(100*365)=90years, iraqi sunni male will be all dead. if thats what Mr. Bush is waiting for....

21. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Is the solution tossing the country into war without any plan for a conclusion, or understanding of the demographic groups we're messing with?

No I dont know the answer to the problem, and I dont think there really is a solution were dealing with religion here which means people acting impervious to logic. Of course before we invaded we didnt need a solution sure Iraq wasnt the happiest place but it's worse now.

And just a comparison on the number of deaths in Iraq...Iraq is aproximately the size and population of Calafornia (murder rate aprox 1000 people per year) Iraq's murder rate is now 36 times higher than that.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

There are no easy answers. The best of a bad lot is probably Jack Murtha (and now reportedly James Baker's) "cut and run" plan wherein we withdraw to bases in Kuwait and some of the northern Kurdish areas, and let the Iraqis sort things out while we stay ready to make strikes in areas where al-Qaeda attempts to set up bases.

Incentivize the Sunnis and Shi'ites to deal with their problems.

Of course Murtha was savaged and dragged through the mud by the right as a coward and a traitor for this plan nearly a year ago, and now Bush's daddy's fix-it guy James Baker is floating that same idea as a trial balloon. And surprise surprise, the right isn't calling him a traitor nor a coward. I wonder why that could be?

Of course, this would all be made much easier if we'd accompany this plan with a big fat apology for our mistake in the first place as well.

However, Bush has already said that this will be another president's problem to fix, and that he's going to stay the course even if the only people who support him are his wife and his dog, so it appears unlikely that any of this will come to pass.