Shikatronics RAM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nina, Jun 25, 2004.

1. nina macrumors member

May 27, 2004
    Anyone heard good/bad things about Shikatronics brand RAM? I'm looking to upgrade my 12" Rev. C Powerbook, and I know they're picky about RAM. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
  2. Grimace macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    I have never heard of that company - but I'm no RAM expert. For a few dollars more - it is definitely worth it to go with quality RAM with a lifetime warranty. Check out - it may be slighty more $$, but it won't screw up your machine. ;)
  3. abhishekit macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2003
    akron , ohio
    Never heard of shikatronics. Are they really cheaper than crucial?
  4. nina thread starter macrumors member

May 27, 2004
    Thanks for the replies, guys! I'm in Canada, so there are no Crucial dealers here (that I've found). Shikatronics is offered by a couple of Mac dealers (Mostly Digital and North Star Computers), so I'm assuming it'll work, but I'm just looking for a vote of confidence before I buy. I also found Kingmax SO-DIMMs for sale (for a REALLY cheap price), but a number of people seem to have issues with that brand, so I'm staying away.

FYI: Shikatronics is $230 CDN, Kingmax is $142 CDN, and Crucial (from their website) is $116US ~ $225 CDN after shipping, exchange, and taxes (NOT including possible duties).
  5. micsaund macrumors 6502

May 31, 2004
    Colorado, USA
    Since the Crucial RAM is cheaper than that dubious-sounding no-name brand even with shipping, I'd just get the Crucial. Even if was slightly more expensive, that'd be my choice. They stand behind their RAM with a very good guarantee and guarantee it will work just fine in your machine (plus lifetime warranty). The only disadvantage I can see is that you might be in a hurry to get your hands on the new RAM and Crucial will take a few days to ship. But, it's worth waiting for compared to "Shikatronic" (sheesh - I work in the semiconductor field and I've never heard of that one... wonder who created that professional sounding company name ;) )