Shinza or Booq for new 15" Powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by umgolfer, Feb 26, 2005.

1. umgolfer macrumors regular

Jun 10, 2004
    Hi all,

I was wondering what the general consensus is for the best bag for a 15" Powerbook. I want something that will give moderate screen/dent/scratch protection. I am trying to decide between a Shinza Zeroshock and a Booq Powersleeve 15. Any personal opinions from people? Or am I missing a different brand that is nicer, but still in the same ball park in price? Thanks!
  2. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    When I first saw this thread I couldn't figure out whether you were talking about a bag or some new hip-hop album.

3. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    I have the Shinza ZeroShock and I can't stop singing its praises. For only like $30 its THE best laptop sleve I have ever used. It doesn't have any extra pockets or anything, its a sleve and is perfect for what I needed it for. I just wanted something that can protect my 15" PB from scratches and dents. This is light and is made from what seems like the material that they use for those foam temperpedic matresses. Very durable and dependable, plus I get complements on it when people pinch the material. :cool:
  4. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2004
    lol, same here. My roomate can't stop pressing her palm against it. And everything else that will mold. :rolleyes:
  5. sirius1722 macrumors member

Dec 30, 2004
    Seattle-area, WA
    Another vote for the ZeroShock. I have one for my 12" PB and it is the best sleeve out of all the ones I looked at. It fits perfectly, protects against scratches, dents and also shock. I tried punching it (w/ the PB out of course...mostly out of boredom) and not a single dent came through. Which says something about the impact absorption of the sleeve, or the strength of my punches...:p

Great sleeve though, been using it when I throw my PB in my backpack with my books and stuff when I go to class.
  6. neut macrumors 68000

Nov 27, 2001
    here (for now)
    l have both the Booq Powersleeve and Momba bag. I like both of them; each has it's own use. When i want to take my iPod i take the Momba ... when i just want my Powerbook (with the power brick and some papers) i'll take the PowerSleeve. The Powersleeve is well built. It has metal harnesses, a large heavy-duty plastic clip and handle, rubber zipper handles, and an optional strap that can be configured to how you want to wear it. It will also fit in their larger sized bag; the Momba will also zip onto the larger bag as an extra compartment. :)

I like to be able to carry my power brick with me, but not my back pack (all the time). ;) ... that said i had actual looked at the Shinza'a too. i got my Booq thrown in with my Powerbook when i bought it used. :)

If i had to pick one i would pick one bag ... the Momba bag is it; i can carry my Powerbook, iPod and all the extras in a tiny bag.

*note: i own a 12" PB. :)

peace | neut
  7. Bern macrumors 68000

Nov 10, 2004
    Another vote for the Shinza sleeve,

I carried my iBook (and soon PowerBook) around in it's Crumpler bag and out through various countries. It's the best protective, light weight sleeve on the market IMO.

I even bought one for my iPod and digital camera :D
  8. panphage macrumors 6502

Jul 1, 2003
    Shinza. I'm not entirely geeked about the "large" version. It's got more wiggle room than I want for the 15" powerbook.
  9. justinshiding macrumors member

May 7, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Ditto. I feel kind of disappointed, I was so hoping to find some new music to dislike. :)

10. umgolfer thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 10, 2004
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I was leaning towards the Shinza and now I will definetly get one. Is there any other places to get the sleeve other than the manufacturer's website? (Like an actual store...) Thanks for the suggestions!
  11. milonguera macrumors newbie

Mar 29, 2005
  12. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

Feb 14, 2005
    Does anyone have a 15" (Aluminum) pb in a shinza. It says it is for the 15" Tibook on their website. Are they the same size. I am thinking of bidding on M's ebay auction, but am unsure of the fit. It looks as if the one he is selling is the only one they offer, but it says it is for the Tibook. May be old info...

13. sarae macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2004
    madison, WI

I have a 12" pb in a Shinza, but the Al and Ti powerbooks are the exact same size, right? If there's even the slightest difference it'll be fine; my shinza has a bit of extra room around the edges. Not enough so it slides around, but just enough.
  14. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    Well since you mentioned "any other brands"... I really like the XL version of McBain's Lovechild (sometimes called McBain's Baby) from Crumpler. It fits the 15" Al Powerbook like a well-padded sleeve; but it has a protected pocket to carry other smallish items (mine generally carries my glasses case, headphones, and a few other things). Also the main compartment is a couple inches taller than the Powerbook is wide - so I also slide my iPod and iSight cases in there as well.

I got mine from Bag You! for a bit under $50.
  15. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

Jan 18, 2003
  16. nFinity macrumors newbie

Mar 15, 2005
    I recently picked up the Booq Mamba for my 12" PB. I really love the design and storage of it for the Powerbook+iPod+Cellphone+power adapter. I still have room left over for a notebook, too.

Only issue I have is where the straps attach to the bag - the elastic loopholes in mine are starting to fray already after about two months of moderate use. Thinking of actually returning it for a Powersleeve.