Shipping a hard drive?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mal, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I have an 80GB hard drive that is under warranty by Hitachi, and I need to send it back for replacement. Problem is, they were very specific during the RMA authorization process that the drive had to be packed in "foam rubber", in an anti-static bag. I have the bag, but the foam rubber is a problem. Anyone know where I could come up with an acceptable solution? They specific forbade shipping it in bubble wrap, peanuts, etc, which is all the UPS Store had when I tried them. Haven't tried Fedex yet, but I'm guessing it's the same story. I need this fairly quickly too, as I've used up a good portion of the time I have to send it back during the process of trying to find this packaging.

jW

2. Mal thread starter macrumors 603

Mal

3. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

I think they mean the stuff that looks like this (attached). You should be able to find it at an office supply store or something.. if you participated in the Apple battery recall, the new battery came sandwiched between 2 pieces of this stuff..

Attached Files:

4. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

I have used that stuff at my old job - we ordered it from Uline, they call it egg-crate foam. It can be found online and at local audio stores (it is used as inexpensive sound isolation material)

5. Mal thread starter macrumors 603

Mal