Shipping Estimates for New iPhone 5 Pre-Orders Through Apple Slip to 3-4 Weeks

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 18, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The iPhone 5 does not officially launch until Friday, but pre-orders are clearly continuing to roll in through Apple's online store as the company has now bumped shipping estimates for new pre-orders to 3-4 weeks. Apple sold out of its launch day pre-order stock in just about an hour last Friday, with shipping estimates quickly moving to two weeks and then drifting to 2-3 weeks, where they have been for the past few days.

[​IMG]

The new 3-4 week estimates are in place in the United States, Canada, and Australia, while several other launch markets including the United Kingdom, France, and Germany remain at 2-3 weeks for the time being. Accounting for shipping time, the new estimates suggest that those placing orders today may not receive their devices until mid-October.

Not only are Apple's lengthening shipping estimates coming before the first round of launches in nine countries this Friday, but the new pre-orders are being pushed well past Apple's second round of launches set to take place in 22 more countries and on additional carriers in some of the first-round markets on September 28. Apple will undoubtedly be reserving some stock for launch availability in the new countries and is of course holding stock for in-store sales beginning this Friday as it rolls out availability, but online orders are now seeing even more substantial delays for the popular device that saw two million pre-orders in just the first 24 hours of availability.

Article Link: Shipping Estimates for New iPhone 5 Pre-Orders Through Apple Slip to 3-4 Weeks

2. macrumors 68020

Is this usually accurate? Has someone experienced where it says 3-4 weeks, but actually comes in 1-2 weeks?

3. macrumors regular

Oh boy, are we in for iPhone 4 like lines again in Malls?

I really hope I can still grab one on Friday!

4. macrumors 65816

Caliber26

It's definitely selling like hot cakes. What I wouldn't give to be a shareholder right now.

5. macrumors 6502a

Well I'm glad I've at least got an October 5th date secured for now... still going to check out AT&T, Walmart, and Radio Shack this Friday and see if I can get lucky :D

6. macrumors 65816

ImperialX

So apparently the iPhone 5 is a huge disappointment, and no one is going to buy it.

7. macrumors 6502a

Don't care please bring us iMac news

8. macrumors regular

~$700?

9. macrumors regular

And 13 in retina macbook pro news!

10. macrumors 6502

Still not sure which colour to get :(
    They made the black one SO nice and elegant this time around...

11. macrumors 6502

iPhone 5 is really a huge failure.

12. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I don't understand - I read over and over on this forum that it was disappointing, boring, and a minor update. Seems strange that so many people would pre-order such a disappointment.

13. macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I remember preordering the iPhone on June of 2010 and getting it in mid-August.
    Let's hope that doesn't happen again.
    (Although I did preorder when the availability was 2 weeks)

14. macrumors regular

I don't think anyone ever doubted Apple would sell millions immediately. I think the concern is that Apple has stopped "innovating." The big innovations were (1) iPhone, (2) iPhone4. Everything else has been, more or less, an evolution of a great idea and/or adaptation of a feature almost every other smartphone has.

But as others have noted, at a certain point you don't just switch everything up just for the sake of doing so. For most luxury brands (Rolex, Rolls Royce, etc.), the models change little by little over the years.

15. macrumors 6502

somethingelsefl

Ugh...alright, we get it. This is becoming the new "Steve Jobs would have never allowed this" comment. Please...stop...this...now.

16. macrumors 68040

faroZ06

4 weeks! :eek: That's like buying something from China on eBay.

17. macrumors 68000

darthraige

Hoping I can show up by 5 am and wait at my mall.

18. macrumors 68040

faroZ06

Steve Jobs would have never allowed Tim Cook to blend Safari being faster and the iPhone 5 being a disappointment.

19. macrumors regular

it would be funny to later find out that the orders are the same as normal they just change the expected shipping to cause hype haha! good idea though!

20. macrumors 68020

Blorzoga

Better get your sleeping bag and head over there now.

21. macrumors 68040

faroZ06

This.

22. macrumors 68020

Blorzoga

Yeah that's a great sales strategy. Turn people away by making them think the product is unavailable. Brilliant.

23. macrumors 68040

faroZ06

They could probably get away with raising the prices by increasing the market value of an iPhone 5 by selling less of them. Value = demand/supply, roughly.

24. macrumors regular

Does this mean I can order my phone now with my upgrade date of October 7th? :)

25. macrumors 6502

iExpensive

Seriously! I'm just going to wait out the initial hipster hype. I don't care if I'm the first to get the phone. I'll gladly wait a month until I can walk into a store and buy it on the spot. It's less stressful that way.