Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a curious development first noticed in Apple's European online stores yesterday, shipping estimates for many of Apple's products have suddenly been extended, suggesting low supplies of these models. The changes showed up in the U.S. online store as well today, indicating that the issues are not specific to the company's European distribution channel.

27_imac_3_5_shipping.png

Tightening supplies are sometimes an indicator of Apple drawing down existing inventory ahead of product refreshes, but the extended shipping estimates are showing up on nearly all of Apple's products, many of which are not expected to see an imminent refresh. Current shipping estimates in the U.S. online store include:

- iPhone 4: 1-3 business days
- iPad 2: 2-3 weeks
- iPod touch: 3-5 days (8 GB and 32 GB), 1-3 days (64 GB)
- iPod nano: 3-5 days
- iPod shuffle: 1-2 weeks
- iPod classic: 1-3 days
- Apple TV: 3-5 days

- MacBook Air: 3-5 days
- MacBook Pro: 3-5 days for all models except low-end 13-inch, which remains at 24 hours
- iMac: 3-5 days
- Mac Pro: 3-5 days for all models except 12-core, which is at 2-4 days

Only the Mac mini appears unaffected by the extended shipping times, with all stock configuration of the Mac mini continuing to ship within 24 hours, Apple's usual goal for order turnaround. Shipping estimates do occasionally increase on certain products from time, but this type of across-the-board increase is very unusual for Apple.

Article Link: Shipping Estimates Throughout Apple's Online Store Suddenly Rise

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Supposedly it's maintenance, and it's been like that for several days. My order went from 24 hours to 2 days back to 1 day.

All the refurbs were mysteriously gone last time I checked, as well.

EDIT: UK store, obviously

Last edited:

jimckimmel

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
I'm guessing that it's iCloud related. iOS devices for iOS 5, MacOS items for Lion Update to support (have pre-installed) iCloud update...Should be coming soon, then...

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
I'm guessing that it's iCloud related. iOS devices for iOS 5, MacOS items for Lion Update to support (have pre-installed) iCloud update...Should be coming soon, then...

Don't really think iCloud has anything to do with shipping delay though.

Interesting nonetheless. Maybe just a glitch in the website.

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
Tim Cook stamping his authoritay by updating the entire portfolio for his new leadership era. All to get 'By Tim Cook, Not Steve Jobs' laser engraved on the back/underside of each product.

Well, maybe not. But would be funny.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
That would make sense. New iPods and changing Macs to come pre-installed with 10.7.2. Perhaps in the next 2 weeks.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA

This seems like a possible reason. Need to update OS X with the iCould software on all machine types.

iDemiurge

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2011
Portugal
Could only be one thing. Apple is going back to the basics and will stop selling everything except the mac mini, which they'll rebrand Macintosh III, and the macbook pro 13", which they'll call "Macintosh III Portable" :p That or some scheduled maintenance.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just ordered a refurb high end 15" MBP and a pair of headphones yesterday with expedited shipping. My items just arrived. No problem here.

bertyao

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2007
diverting to China

Maybe it's all going to China cause it selling really well there.

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
well we know that Apple were planning an entirely new product catagory again...and this is it.

Its called the 'i' and its all products in one thin form.

either that or tim's pulling Apple out of computers altogether and going with patent trolling....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.