Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2004
AU
The time has come, the walrus said, to speak of many things ...

In my case the time has come to move back to Australia, after three years in the UK. I have accumulated some stuff that I don't want to leave behind, so I need to find an economical shipping & customs agent.

Does anyone have recent experience with these things? Any recommendations? (I have had a look at the websites for Dolphin, EVL, Voovit, Going Home, PSS, Excess Baggage, Anglo Pacific and a few others).

Advice, opinions, and experiences welcomed!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Wrapped in plastic...

Don't use too much plastic to pack valuable things. Mold can build up in that humid sea air -- this much I have learned.

Door to door: more pricy but possibly more convenient depending on whether you're there to receive consignments. Door to port if you're not fussed.

Do a precise inventory and don't skip on insurance.

Edit: Just one thought. Be prepared for intrusive agricultural inspections on import to Australia... same with NZ. Don't want to bring in the wee beasty that decimates the entire farm industry.

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2004
AU
Blue Velvet said:
Don't use too much plastic to pack valuable things. Mold can build up in that humid sea air -- this much I have learned.

Door to door: more pricy but possibly more convenient depending on whether you're there to receive consignments. Door to port if you're not fussed.

Do a precise inventory and don't skip on insurance.

Thanks. Hadn't thought about mould. I guess some silica gel wouldn't go amiss in that case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.