Shirtless Musical Advice-- Help!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cslewis, Jun 17, 2006.

1. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Okay, folks. Here's the deal. Does anyone remember a few weeks ago when I mentioned our school's musical? (Probably not.) Well, we completed our tryouts and in this year's production of Elton John's "Aïda" i'll be a member of the Male Ensemble™. That's all fine and dandy, but the costume and scenes require that I walk around. On stage. With no shirt.

:eek:

That's where you guys come in. I'm not fat by any means, but I'm rather skinny and bony. Counting 7 of my ribs is not too great when I'm supposed to be a noble soldier. Does anyone have any suggestions to help make myself more... presentable?

Thanks!

-mac_head

2. dylan macrumors 6502

Buy some protein powder and drink that every morning. Eat and drink lots. Go to the gym if you can. If not just get as much exercise as possible.

BTW having your ribs show is a good thing. If they don't your overweight IMO...

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Do all that and MAKE SURE YOU GO TO THE GYM. Otherwise, you're just going to build fat and not lean muscle.

No, having your ribs not show is not a sign of being overweight. If my ribs do not show yet I have a nice lean female six pac then it simply means I am fit and cut. If I see a guy where his ribs show I know he is too lean for his own body and needs to eat lean proteins and go to the gym a few days a week.

4. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Also, dont wear a shirt a lot in the next few weeks... be comfortable with having your shirt off in public and (If you have one) you will lose the farmers tan.

5. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Being bony is way better than being fat. I think so, anyway. I would go with the above advice; bulk up. Protien shakes, hit the gym every day and concentrate on your torso (the treadmill won't do much for your rib-problem :p ). Push-ups and pull-ups are a good option if you don't have access to a gym, as are crunches and sit-ups... good luck! :)

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Haha, been there, done that. Just look confident and you'll be fine. Good luck. :)

7. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

8. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

HEY! Where'd you get that picture of me?! I thought I burned them all!

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Until you get stuck on an island somewhere. :p

10. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

But don't they always eat the fat guy first?!

I'd say its best to be skinny...until another ice age strikes...then only the blubber-bound will survive!

11. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I would do the protein/exercise part. But I would also get a nice tan. Either by tanning bed or laying out. If you don't tan then try the tanless stuff..maybe?

Nuc

12. cslewis thread starter macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Thanks a lot for the advice! There's just one hitch-- my parents are very concerned for my safety. Frankly, they wouldn't approve of protein drinks. In addition, they'd be horrified by the idea of me going to the gym.

As for myself, I'm 5'11'' and 135 pounds, with a fair amount muscle and a few touches of fat. I do 50 pushups, 100 situps, and 50 weird arm-chest-things every morning and night. Is this enough? What do you suggest I do?

Thanks again!

13. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

horrified of making yourself healthy?

are your parents fracking insane?

14. iGary Guest

iGary

A tan goes a long way to cover up not being "built." Go lay in the sun. Seriously.

15. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Rebel against tanning! Pasty is beautiful :).

My advice: Be confident. It'll show.

e

16. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

best advice yet.

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I think they're a little bit mis-informed about the gym. Unless you run into the equipment, or take on too much weight without someone watching you, I can't see as how it's dangerous. Protein drinks or other body-building supplements can be dangerous, if not used cautiously. You can't get overnight results.

Get some dumbbells, if you can. They'll help with definition.

18. JurgenWigg macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

I've tried protein drinks etc trying to get in shape for backpacking and could barely stomach them.

I'd reccomend protein bars, you can find them virtually anywhere. CVS probably has them, as does hiking, fitness, or any other convience store should carry them. In my experience, the peanut butter or chocolate flavored ones tasted better than other flavors.

If you're looking for muscle mass, weight training is the only way to go. Calisthenics (sp?) - using your own body to work out, like situps/pushups, can only take you so far. Help out with some heavy lifting around the house ;)

19. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Get comfortable being shirtless. Grab some self-tanner (a good brand.. not orangey) and go for that INSTEAD of eventual skin cancer, laying in the sun. (leathery skin is gross, too)

Once you get comfortable walking around, you'll feel infinitely better. I'm not a skinny-skinny gal, but I'm still comfortable walking around in a bikini. If they don't like it, tell them to frack off.

Concentrate more on your singing voice. You can look really good, but if you sound really bad, it'll be worse than being a little skinny.
    And besides IMO, singers always look funny when they sing shirtless... all that breathing from the diaphragm and all.

Good luck! break a leg! :):)

20. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I like you! :) THE BEST advice given. Confidence is #1 in my book. That makes a person 10 times more attractive, IMO.