"Shock and Awe" Grassroots Folding Campaign!

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by maineroad, Jan 24, 2004.

1. maineroad macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I've been real enthused about our progress so far as a team and I'm anxious to get as many new members as possible. So...I've started a grassroots campaign to spread the word about our team at different Mac related websites and forums. :)

Today I posted in the AppleInsider forums and the SpyMac forums an open invitation to join our team (or just F@H in general).

View the AppleInsider post here.
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37239

Here is what I've said in my posts. Feel free to use it as a template to post in your own forums, etc.

Let me know your thoughts.

-----------------------------

Hey [name of site/forum],

I've been a big fan of [name of site/forum] for a while and have frequented these boards a lot. I wanted to put out a call for those of you unaware of or not participating in the Folding@Home project with your Macs.

Myself and my teammates (Team 3446 Macrumors) are utilizing our spare CPU cycles to fold protein models for the Folding@Home project. In short, these protein models may help researchers come closer to finding a cure/treatment for Cancer, Mad Cow, Alzhiemers, Parkinsons, etc. More information can be found at the Stanford University site.[link to Stanford]

The G3, G4, and G5 are all optimized for the Folding@home client using GROMACS. The G4 and G5 particularly excell in this process, even against high clock PC's.

Our Mac folding team is currently 19th and is rapidly closing in on the teams 18th through 12th. [link to extreme stats page]

We are the top Mac team and we're passionate about folding because it is both a good cause and a great way to show our platform's power (ex. the Dual G5 rips through EVERYTHING in the folding rhelm). PC teams take notice of our progress and engage in "friendly" folding competitions all the time.

We'd like your help!

This is an open invitation for anyone to join our team, create your own team, or fold as an individual. Every machine helps. You're fighting to help erradicate disease and you're fighting for the Mac.

Find information on how to start folding here[link to our FAQ].

Thanks and Fold ON!

-Macrumors.com Folding Team #3446
    (If you decide to join our team, please post in our forums and let us know. We like to welcome new members to the community
    --------------------------------

2. twiztidn8v macrumors member

This is a good idea! Kudos to you maineroad! I would post to forums, but I mostly frequent other folding teams forums! hehehe.

Keep up with the good ideas! Every little bit helps!

3. maineroad thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting development...

Apparently there is a user from Team Mac OS X that is following our lead here with the grassroots campaign.

In each of the forums I've posted to, he/she has posted a reply inviting users to join their own folding team (not macrumors). They graciously state that the Macrumors team "has enough firepower on their own," which is a compliment of sorts.:D

So far they've replied to our posts on SpyMac and Appleinsider. (Apparently SpyMac has their own team but it's not publicized enough. They're ranked #157). Team Mac OS X is trying to convince SpyMac to merge with them in order to catch up.

Ongoing Coverage:
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=539082#post539082
    http://www.spymac.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=59130

One member of Appleinsider seems to have joined our team so far. (Even if just one more user joins our team these posts in forums are worth it!)

Thanks for the kind words twiztidn8v.

Fold ON!

4. twiztidn8v macrumors member

I would take that as a compliment. I've posted it at Resexcellence.com, let's see if anyone bites from there.

This really is a great idea!

I'll check out the other boards! Haven't done so yet.

5. maineroad thread starter macrumors newbie

I will cruise over to Thinksecret and As the Apple Turns.

6. Selecter macrumors member

Actually, I would rather see a concerted grassroots effort into taking all the site specific teams and making them into a single Mac team that would be a contender for the #1 ranking, and not stop until they get there. A quick look at the ranks shows that right now, the best we can do will be probably #10 or 11, and only after a lot of time passes.

The PC gang has nothing to distinguish itself, therefore they have all these different teams and such. We have a single unifying thing - the mac - holding all the mac teams together. I think it's shameful that any mac team should get members by dragging them away from other mac teams. None of the mac teams should be pitted against each other in any way - we should be together on one team, showing the world that the Mac is a force, and if all could be brought under one team, the Mac would rule over all the clients. No one would stop us from number #1.

We should all unite ranks behind one team, even if that team has to start over with the express goal of being number 1 in the world using Macs.

Yes, I know this is a impossibility, and requires everyone to put the platform and the project first rather than the website first. This is not possible probably in the real world, but I can be a dreamer and it hurts no one.

A single Mac distributed team under one banner and team number with member teams from the various websites, competing with each other, but always aiming for number 1, and having the firepower to get there. It would be a grand experiment. This is the only way to ever have the Mac number 1 - as long as we divide ourselves into seperate teams the Mac will never get to number 1.

Ok, I'm done now ;)

7. maineroad thread starter macrumors newbie

Selecter,

I am in agreement with you. I think a solitary Mac team would be ideal. As you state though...this seems to be a pipe dream (at least till the next big distributed opportunity).

I've researched many of the past threads on our site and our Mac allies' sites that cover mergeing or forming a new Mac team. While everyone is in consensus that they want a single Mac team, many users have a specific motive for joining their team. At MacAddict, users seem to want to boost reputation of the Mac and the magazine. Even our team is connected to Macrumors.com and we indirectly promote this website (which is fine with me, but it is not why I joined. Macrumors.com is a great site, but I joined to fold and fold for the Mac team with the greatest resources). Only Team Mac OS X is a team that is a major player in folding and is not affliated with any site/publication, etc. I kinda wish their team was the highest producing Mac team, if only to get Mac OS X more recognition.

It certainly doesn't hurt to be a dreamer Selecter, you are correct.

Lastly, my goal with the grassroots campaign was to recruit from Mac groups that don't already have their own Folding team. I choose Appleinsider b/c I know they don't have a team (now I know that SpyMac does have a team). I don't wish to canablize any other Mac team's efforts and I don't think anybody on these boards should.

Our team pulls a lot of weight in the Mac folding community because of our high production. Luckily, Team Mac OS X and MacAddict are both complementary to this fact and friendly in attitude towards us. I root for those guys too.

If anything, the discussions now going on throughout various Mac discussion boards will only spur more participation and maybe reinvigor old folding participants.

8. twiztidn8v macrumors member

Believe me, there is nothing more that I would love to see than a unified mac team. I used to be with MacAddict, and tried to get them to talk about the idea again.

I would be willing to help out wherever I can if persons are willing to join in to help try to unify the mac teams.

But until [if] there is a big enough support base and people willing to join, I will continue here with MacRumors.

9. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

A unified team is only going to work if and only if the stats reset and they give people antiquate time to build a site and such.

As for the campaign, Mac Os X Team has people all over and your really going to be recruiting people to their team.

When people see Mac Os X... and MacRumors... even on a Rumors site... who are they going to chose?

:(

Tho, you can keep trying.

10. Sailfish macrumors regular

"I kinda wish their team was the highest producing Mac team, if only to get Mac OS X more recognition."

We are working on it. You could lend us a few of your faithful salesmen.

: )

We got those damm SilentPC Review guys laughing and taunting the whole Mac platform.

Think we could use the bulk of new recruits for awhile huh?

----

BTW I posted a day earlier at SpyMac and a few minutes after yours in another thread at Insider and it was moved.

Given our situation with SPCR, we need the help.

11. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Do you REALLY want me to go over to your Forums again... and Recruit people at YOUR forums?

Please.

Leave this thread alone.

If SilentPC review wants to laugh, tell them to come here and start blasting, ask them why Team MacRumors is beating them.

--MrMacMan 3446!

12. maineroad thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, a few days into the folding recruitment campaign and I think we've had mixed results.

There have a been a few confirmed new members who joined the team b/c of our publicity. That's good news.

However, Team Mac OS X has been absolutely on a recruitment binge after they replied to my posting on Appleinsider. They seem to have added many new members with multiple CPU's each.

Good news is that on the whole the Mac folding effort has increased and more people are involved.

13. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Indeed, we need some more people in that thread.

You did create it... it has been taken over my Mac Os X team recruiters.

:mad:

come on guys.