Shock and Awe...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by NavyIntel007, Mar 22, 2003.

1. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Is it just me or has the term 'shock and awe' been a little played out?

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The media is trying to grasp as much as they can to fill in the time between bombings. Its pretty lame acutally, and they'll go to any length to make things interesting, or try to at least.

One thing that really got me was the media finding out who the famillies of the first Marines who fell in battle were and did interviews asking about how they felt about the war. Give me a break, but lets be a little realistic here. What happens if thousands end up dying from a chemical weapon attack? Are they going to go interview all the famillies? I don't think so and I certainly hope we manage to get this resolved with no more deaths on either side.

The media, as far as I'm concerned, are a necessary evil. We want the info about what's happening, but in the same time we get a lot of stuff we really don't want to see.

Its sort of similar to the Olympics, all the interviews with the athletes and famillies, and very little of the competition.

D

3. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I agree with da duke here...

[rant]Another thing about the coverage of the olympics, if the spent less time talking about each and ever step in the event and more time covering the events we would be able to see more of them. I have yet to see an entire Biathalon event during the winter olympics which pisses me off to no end. THAT is one of the few sporting events that I would PAY to see. BUT, because the media is SO anti-gun they don't give the event the recognition it deserves. Very sad actually... [/rant]

I wonder if the media will interview all the families of the enemy troops that our soldiers kill during the war.... :rolleyes:

4. NavyIntel007 thread starter macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

I love how they make a huge deal about the Thousands that are protesting in cities in the US. What about the Millions that aren't?

News Headline...

Millions Stay Home in NY!

5. NavyIntel007 thread starter macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Anyone seen that picture of Bush and his cabinet at Camp David? Cheney is the only one not tucked into the table. I guess because he's a robot he's rather heavy and they couldn't move him. :D

6. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I too believe that the phrase 'shock and awe' has been overplayed. It was a cheesey phrase from the beginning, but now it's just annoying.

The news coverage was interesing in the beginning, but I think that it's too much now. I haven't looked at a TV at all today, mainly because it's either war, or something else I don't care to watch... Maybe if there was a major development going on, I would turn on the TV, but otherwise, I'm contempt doing other things...

7. FatTony macrumors regular

Shock and Awe is the title of a book published by the National Defense University press in 1996. It is a look at Hitler's use of blitzkrieg (lightning war) and the civilian casualties that are caused by such tactics. I find it disturbing that the same military who wrote this book would use the title as a catch-phrase for this war.

I'm not saying we are acting like WWII Germany or Bush like Hitler, but I wouldn't think the White House's press machine would even give anti-war advocates the opportunity to use this as fuel for their fire.

8. hesdeadjim macrumors regular

I think you are right, but the current use that Bush is using is one to limit civilian causalities. They are only targeting governmental buildings. This is different from what has become standard practice since WWII where we kill everything in sight and ask questions later. Now, I'm not neccesairly justifying the war, just giving another view point.

9. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-All

I'm not one to get involved in political discussions, so I won't.

I will, however, get into stupid people discussions.

One example:

Violent Peace Protests.

I mean, come on people.

(been in the scotch again)

10. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Yeah, I was in Chicago this weekend. Some in my group were planning on going downtown, but decided against it. Very good choice. When peace protesters are being arrested by the thousands for getting out of hand like that you kinda wonder what they mean by peace.

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

as much as i support the protests/protesters... i think it's incredibly hypocritical/stupid to have violent peace protests.

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Most of the arrests made in the US were not violent protesters but ones who were engaging in nonviolent civil disobedience, such as chaining themselves together across a street or disrupting traffic or crossing police lines to protest.

The only massive violent protests I've heard of happened in Seoul and in Egypt.

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

agreed, just saying in general.

as i've said before, the violence makes headlines, despite the small % of instances.... just as is the case in the puerto rican day parade, st. patty's day, etc etc.

yemen was also pretty bad. 3 dead the first day i think.

14. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It's very troubling that the majority of the violence is occuring in the Middle East. It spells big trouble for the US in the long run with this strategy. I'm afraid we're making a lot of new enemies over there, and the ones we already had are getting justification for their hatred and are getting the chance to cement their views amonst a larger, more moderate group of Muslims.