shock over berkeley community TV

Discussion in 'Community' started by sourcemonkey, Aug 14, 2005.

1. sourcemonkey macrumors regular

so my TV breaks down and to pass the time i went online to see what was offered in terms of internet TV. somehow after many dead and meaningless links i ended up at http://www.betv.org/ . at first glance it just looked like what it claimed to be... a community tv show. i start up the stream and initially nothing seemed to be too odd... a green party cadidate for oakland by the name of Aimee Allison was talking with a man who appeared to be quadraplegic who was communicating with some kind of rod attached to his head with which he spelled out what he wanted to say... anyway, i left this on in the backround watching it on and off. when the 'interview' concluded the name of the quadraplegic 'interviewer' was mentioned (moore) and in the 'commercial break' a site he was associated with called eroplay.com was mentioned...dodgy... so i googled his name and site to check out what all this was about (the site name sounds 'fishey' right?!) ... i was shocked. i thought i'd seen some weird stuff in my life but this was way the most disturbing thing i had ever seen. my point is, what in god's name was a candidate for a political party doing being interviewed by this crazy bastard?! and presumably the tax payers are funding the 'TV' station that promotes him. Allison concluded the interview by saying she was "honoured to be there." did she/could she possibly have known this guy's choice of 'recreation/art'? if she did then do the voters of oakland know who she is associating herself with?! if she didn't know then her 'team' made a career ending blunder as far as i'm concerned. can any MR oakland/berkeley residents please explain to me what this is all about?
    This is all completely weird, right?

(the fact that this moore character is physically impaired is essentially beside the point. any 'younger' MR members are advised not to view the site)

2. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Erm... did I miss something? Looks like comix and bad poetry to me... not what I'd choose to peruse in my free time, but why are you so upset about this?

Did you pay any attention whatsoever to what he said during the interview, or are you just bashing him because of his aesthetic choices?

3. sourcemonkey thread starter macrumors regular

yeah sure, no the interview was 'valid'. it was his site that disturbed me. the images in the image gallery were to me pretty 'out there' and they were outdone by a video of one of his 'rock concerts' . on its own its weird imo, but when coupled with the fact that this candidate allowed herself to be interviewed by him. seriously, i feel you must have missed something ;) if other posters view the images etc and agree that there is nothing 'odd' about all this then i'll...well... i won't know what to say to be honest ;)

4. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Frank Moore is a pretty well-known Bay Area performance artist. Here's a good article about him from the East Bay Express.

I'm not sure what part of the country (or world) the original poster is from, but here in the SF Bay Area, no, this isn't completely wierd.

5. sourcemonkey thread starter macrumors regular

yeah but your avatar is the lead character in possibly one of the darkest pieces in motion picture history, what does that suggest to me?! ;) (only kidding) well, what can i say? i found it all too much, but thanks for the comment/link.

6. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Eraserhead knows whassup.

Sorry, didn't mean to be aggressive in my post. Well, yeah, I guess I did... but I'm in a very anti-establishment mood today after I got my car stereo stolen (and, I suspect, by the folks @ Best Buy who installed the @#$%ing thing).

Yeah, I browsed some things, and they were icky. Breasts and penises should not be on the same person. Call me Old Testament like that, but I have to be a dinosaur in at least one way.

I dunno... I mean, I'm a practicing novelist :rolleyes: and I write about a lot of terrible things happening, and I'm sure a lot of it is filthy and degrading. Some people have accused me of being racist (not knowing, of course, that my sister [whom I respect more than anyone in the world] is biracial) or misogynistic (I'm a misanthrope and a cynic; I respect women much more than I respect the human race as a whole). My point, messy as it is... I dislike people attacking artists for "filth" in general. Like Andre Serrano's "Piss Christ," which offended a lot of people primarily because it was completely misinterpreted. Art is supposed to trigger a thought process, so I am irritated when it triggers an unexamined rejection.

Not trying to say I'm superior to anyone here (I'm kinda smelly right now, I need to cut my fingernails, and I'm leaving unnecessary lights burning), just trying to explain my earlier irritation.

7. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

Politics is a special little world where debauchery is okay as long as it's not talked about in a reasonable manner. Especially not if it's mentioned/portrayed in such a way as to make it seem like normal people do naughty things.

I guess the point the poster's trying to make is that vice should never be acknowledged by a public figure unless it's being directly, self-righteously condemned.

Politicians (ESPECIALLY IN THE U.S.) are not there to push buttons, to challenge what we think we know, or better us in any way as a whole. They are there to build us up, coddle us, and make it seem just fine that they do absolutely nothing progressive.

Some localities (shockingly!) reject this kind of thinking, and get what in return? Scorn from Fox News, bewilderment from the public at large, and the prevailing sense that they're weird and "liberal."

Sorry about the rant, but it really drives me nuts.

Does it REALLY have to be offensive that somebody has different sensibilities than your uptight arse?

BTW: I write this from a basement in Boise, ID.

8. sourcemonkey thread starter macrumors regular

seriously i don't represent the establishment ;) anyway, what constitutes 'art' can be seen, i guess, to be in part what this is about. i feel i can say with infallible certainty that what i saw does not constitute 'art' to the overwhelming majority of mankind. those of the school of thought that 'art' is defined by it's agency in triggering a reaction in its audience, to me, seem unconvincing. from this, i feel, can stem the contention that one need only say "behold my art" and whatever would follow would be 'art' (as the audience would be now spectating the 'art' - and would be moving from the assumption that what would follow that statement would be 'art'. as such, it would become art once it acheived in its aim of influencing or 'triggering' a thought or series of thoughts). All in all, saying that it's art to strip naked, have sex, and writhe around and dance around on a stage completlely at random simply because it is 'presented to be 'art' fails to be convincing. even if the 'artist' is quadraplegic. of course, that is only my opinion, but my point is: isn't this also the opinion of most people? if so, wouldn't it be a bit of a scandal for a political aspirant to be associating herself with this guy?
    to be honest i missed..err... whatever you said should not be on the same person ;) (thankfully) and again i should stress this is not a 'disability, gender, or race' issue to me. it's an issue of whether this is accepted as 'art' and as being 'mainstream' behaviour to the extent that the green party candidate and her constituency would have no qualms about her implicit validation of this sort of behaviour. don't take this as an attack, kalisphoenix, or anyone else for that matter. it seems the weight of opinion is against me here anyway ;)