Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Birone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
Agreed. Yeah, it'll run warmer, but who cares? Play the darn video's and stop worrying so much. Scalded you? Really? I doubt it, and if your skin is that sensative, (unlikely) don't touch that area.

Never said it scalded me, and I'm not going to sit back and relax when my fans are at full speed with only the flash video open, and my CPU is hanging at 100%.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Never said it scalded me, and I'm not going to sit back and relax when my fans are at full speed with only the flash video open, and my CPU is hanging at 100%.

I will. And at the end of the day my MBA won't be any worse off but I'll be relaxed while you're OCD about a non-issue.

Birone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
I will. And at the end of the day my MBA won't be any worse off but I'll be relaxed while you're OCD about a non-issue.

Asking questions and voicing concerns in an online forum isn't OCD.
Is your form of OCD posting replies that offer no value whatsoever?

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Flash puts a load on the machine, the CPU is designed to operate at partial OR full load. The fan is designed to cool it. A load on the machine will cause it to run warmer.

Yes, IMO insisting on worrying about a completely normal phenomenon and getting butt hurt and making dumb replies when people are essentially telling you the same thing most certainly is OCD. But hey, it's your life and your MBA. If you want to worry about normal operation, go right ahead. Just careful not to scald your hand on the machine. :rolleyes:

Birone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
Flash puts a load on the machine, the CPU is designed to operate at partial OR full load. The fan is designed to cool it. A load on the machine will cause it to run warmer.

Yes, IMO insisting on worrying about a completely normal phenomenon and getting butt hurt and making dumb replies when people are essentially telling you the same thing most certainly is OCD. But hey, it's your life and your MBA. If you want to worry about normal operation, go right ahead. Just careful not to scald your hand on the machine. :rolleyes:

Hard to understand where spite like this comes from.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I tried this cms fan contril app, by keepeing your fans at 6000rpm its almost always at 65c cool. also I got one of those laptop tables with fans, i am not sure if they are helping but they can not hurt I guess...

will my computer get damaged if i keep the fans always at 6000rpm?
heat results r great!

Ndynslvr

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
Damn you guys are scaring meh, I'm considering making the purchase of the retina air in the future and I had this problem with several other computers where the computer got heated towards the point of being uncomfortable to type on. I have a thinkpad now which has no problems, but I'd like to make the upgrade to mac osx.

Reason for air is that the ssd options are currently cheaper and after using SSD I can't go back.

Birone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
Damn you guys are scaring meh, I'm considering making the purchase of the retina air in the future and I had this problem with several other computers where the computer got heated towards the point of being uncomfortable to type on. I have a thinkpad now which has no problems, but I'd like to make the upgrade to mac osx.

Reason for air is that the ssd options are currently cheaper and after using SSD I can't go back.

You will probably have nothing to worry about. Watching youtube and the like is fine, the problem lies with websites providing their own custom flash window that looks like its from 1992. Just choose to use quicktime as the default, if it offers a player preference. I haven't experienced any problems since I did so. As a side note I've had flash heat my windows machines up to the point of crashing before, so I wouldn't say that its specific to the mac platform.

masands

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
I listen to flash based music online. Battery life goes from around 7-8 hours to 3-5 hours. Kills it completely. I can't really put the music on my SSD due to space issues. Sucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.