Shoe plant workers get $20,000 bonuses

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by eyelikeart, Dec 15, 2003.

1. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm thinking I should ditch the creative world & get back into the shoe biz! :D

story here

2. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Quite a healthy bonus. It seems a little misdirected since people were laid off. I've been laid off before and had some mixed feelings because my company was being sued to the tune of $50 million in back rent by the State of Hawaii.

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Good for them. That is the kind of employer to have, one that is willing to share in the profit with the workers. It is afterall the workers that earned that profit.

Well now I have learned something new about eyelikeart. When were you in the shoe business?

4. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I worked in retail for 5 years. I started out doing stock, worked my way to manager...selling shoes. I was Al Bundy. ;)

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Sorry, I'm confused on the Al Bundy reference. Was this job right out of college?

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

al bundy was from married with children, he sold shoes. but damn thats a nice bonus, that has to be amazing for a couple to receive 19 grand each from a salary of working in a shoe factory for 19 years.

iJon

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

It's good to hear that somewhere there's a company that is paying its workers what they deserve, instead of half what they need and giving the execs 50 times (literally) what any sane human being would for the job they do. Maybe they'll start a trend, though I doubt that.

I don't know what management in that company makes, but if more companies were run that way I have a feeling the US economy would be in much better shape than it is now.

I hope I'm not ranting off-topic, but here's an interesting article on the topic of paying laborers much more:

http://marshallbrain.com/etq-double.htm

(It oversimplifies, but basically it would require little more than stiffing overpaid executives to double the US minimum wage.)