Shooting at Atlanta Middle School Leaves 8th Grader Shot in the Head

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Jan 31, 2013.

1. macrumors 68040

bradl

I'm not titling this for the shock factor, as that was indeed what happened, but here we go again.. Australia, New Zealand, Guam, and the Moon are looking like really good places to move to right about now..

Atlanta Journal Constitution

So the question has to be asked: What would an armed guard do in this situation? Shoot and kill a parent's child? I'm not going to go into conspiracy theories on what caused this kid to do this; I'll wait for the facts to be uncovered, but we can not live in a society where everyone is armed and vigilant, fearing that someone is going to shoot, causing someone else to shoot. That is not any safe nor sane society to live in nor raise children in.

I hope both child and teacher make it out of this with a full recovery.

BL.

2. macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
  3. thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

4. macrumors 603

Menel

You're right. We should not be vigilant for our own safety, our own resources, our own shelter, our own anything. Nanny government will make sure no bad guys exist, everyone has a home, and hand out food rations. It will be a utopia. Is this how Australia is?

5. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It was. And gun control has also been covered in a fair amount of threads before this one.

6. macrumors 603

Menel

7. macrumors 601

Moyank24

Luckily, in the last article I read, the injuries to the child appear to be non-life threatening.

Amazingly, we've reached a point where these seem to be a weekly thing - but it could have been much, much worse. Sad that things like that even have to be pointed out.

8. macrumors 68000

I would be terrified to live in America.

9. macrumors 6502a

webbuzz

A reporter from WSB TV, during the live feed, said the teacher was trampled, and not shot. Morse Diggs from WAGA said the girl is awake and breathing on her own. Hopefully she is not critical and makes a full recovery.

10. thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Not really a utopia, no, but definitely distant and disconnected from the fear, paranoia, lack of interaction in our cultural society and cowboy diplomacy we are applying domestically. Some people seem to think that living in the 50s and 60s, with mindsets like those in Rio Bravo, Hondo, and the like are how we should be living in society today, and look at how that is tearing us apart.

BL.

11. macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Yeah like those in the UK or Aus.

12. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

If you only watched the news of any locale, you'd probably be terrified to live there. We're not so bad.

13. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

We should have one long-term thread titled, "Just Another Shooting in America"

It will always be relevant and timely.

You get used to it.

14. macrumors 601

Moyank24

Might as well make it a sticky.

15. macrumors 603

Freedom! :rolleyes:

16. macrumors 6502

I am a resident of Cook County, and that heap of s*** assault weapons/handguns ban Chicago did was the absolute worst thing they could of done. I would absolutely love to legally force the idiots who wrote those nonsense laws to have to take a stroll though such communities as Englewood and Austin, and see what happens. Every gangster has a AK-47, even though they are of course banned, but nobody is going to talk about that... How funny that Chicago is one of the most dangerous cities in America, with a massive amount of murders every day, but yet has banned everything. No handguns, assault weapons, large magazines, concealed carry, etc, and even some police, such as the Department of Aviation police are unarmed, as less weapons means less violence, right?

17. Guest

This cant keep going on like this.

At some point the international community will have to step in and take action.

18. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Out of respect for the families, and as a matter of common decency, I have given time for mourning, prayer and a full investigation of the facts before commenting.

19. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Howe does a gun ban work in a city in the midst of a country awash in firearms?

I'd say it's an exercise in futility, more than anything else.

20. macrumors 603

They're banned in Chicago but not in many surrounding areas and it's not like there's border checkpoints to go city-to-city or state-to-state.

Gun nuts try to use these stats to prove that a gun ban doesn't work but all it shows is that you can't ban something in a specific area and expect things to disappear when they aren't banned 10 miles away and people can just drive down the street to get them.

What really needs to happen is new regulations at the federal level.

21. Guest

eric/

No, the international community can bugger off. We'll handle our own problems here, with our own laws, thank you.

22. macrumors P6

Peace

I have to agree with you eric.

23. macrumors 6502

I have seen a huge amount of illegal drugs all over the place. I propose they ban all of them, on a federal level. Oh wait, they already did, over 40 years ago... Look at how well that has worked... Why wont the exact same thing happen with weapons??? Nobody has been able to answer that for me...

24. VulchR, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013

macrumors 68000

VulchR

Don't be silly. Every country has crime. On balance the US is an excellent place to live. One has to remember that the US has more than a quarter of a billion people, so while these stories are horrible and upsetting, they are hardly the norm. Many people live their entire lives in the US without ever witnessing a crime or being affected directly by one.

In this regard, I find your comment ironic in that here in the UK there is a show about mass murderers and other violent criminals in Australia.... :p

25. macrumors 6502a

Why is it any other country's business?