shooting the messenger: ABC in trouble over uranium experiment

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Sep 11, 2003.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A57230-2003Sep10?language=printer

i saw a preview of this story on World News Tonight. pretty concerning how easy it was to sneak uranium into the country. at no point was the package (a trunk) physically inspected. starting in jakarta.

the guy Mr. Ross interviewed, from DHS, claimed that his department was successful, because no enriched uranium entered the country. huh?

i see that i'm expected to feel safer once the messenger is shot. nice f******* policy. can we start inspecting cargo soon, please?

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Well, this is mostly a CYA deal, insofar as the bureaucrats are concerned.

The larger problem is the vast number of containers coming into the country. It is physically impossible to adequately inspect each and every one.

The amount of tax dollars spent on efforts at drug interdiction rise annually, yet the street price of cocaine has been pretty-much constant for some 20 years. IOW, it's cheaper, now, in terms of buying power, than 20 years ago.

If you can't stop boxes, bundles and bales of drugs, how can you guarantee to stop some small box of anthrax or smallpox? Or a suitcase nuke? How ya gonna check every tanker truck of asphalt, gasoline, propane or ammonia that's coming out of Mexico? Or similar loads out of Canada?

Since the feds also know they can't provide guarantees of a warm, snuggly world, bad PR means shoot the messenger--the public might figure out it's not really safe.

'Rat

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

a little more info on what i saw in the program....

each incoming container (at least in LA) is scanned by a radiation detection device, from the outside of the container. they had a shot of it in the piece.

ABC designed the experiment, backed by the "nuclear physicist with the Natural Resources Defense Council", such that its spent uranium would give off the same reading as enriched uranium.

said the physicist:
    according to ABC, this is something that should have been caught given customs' equipment and procedures, but was not.