Shopping Cart

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by 0penCr8, Jan 2, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Hey
    I'm new to web design and I am looking to create a payment gateway for my website. I know there are several shopping cart solutions out there (GoDaddy, ZenCart, PayPal...) but I want to build one myself. I mean, I'm pretty sure Amazon isn't using GoDaddy Quick Shopping cart to process their payments. I'm not looking fir anything close to that kind of complexity, but I was hoping someone with more knowledge than me could point me in the right direction.
    Thanks!

2. macrumors 68000

ideal.dreams

While I can't help with the actual set up of one (I use third party add ons to accomplish this), I will suggest you use Authorize.net, or something similar, to securely accept payments. I've heard a story of a site that used a "back door" method of simply sending the customer's payment information as plain text into a text document to be read later. A thief found the document and stole all the credit card numbers.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Add Ons

Would you mind telling me what add-ons you use?

4. macrumors 68000

ideal.dreams

Well, it's not an add-on you can install to a site you built yourself. It's from the Concrete5 Marketplace so you'd need a site built with Concrete5. It's a free open-source CMS package and the plugin I used for a shopping cart is called "E-commerce." It is very customizable and has an Authorize.net gateway built in. It's also not a free add-on and at the time I purchased it, it was on sale for a reasonable amount off which is why I went with it. I'm not sure if it's on sale anymore.

Though I'm not sure if the above is something you're interested in since that would require using Concrete5.

5. macrumors 65816

I've built several custom online purchase systems, building a new one right now. What exactly are you needing help with?

6. macrumors member

Yes, amazon have their own payment gateway system but this is mostly due to their scale.

I would advise that you use an existing system such as Authorize.net, BeanStream or Stripe in the US or CardSave if you are in the UK. Writing your own is a MAJOR hassle since you will probably need to start discussions with banks and all sorts of other things that would be a ton of an effort for someone just starting with web design.