short-changed in RTCWolfenstein

Discussion in 'Games' started by car2nz, Apr 5, 2004.

1. car2nz macrumors newbie

After purchasing Return to Castle Wolfenstein, I had enjoyed playing the game from start to end ... or so I thought!

Recently I was talking about the game with someone else who plays Return to Castle Wofenstein on the XBox, and I mentioned that there seemed to be some ammo throughout the game which I could never pick up. He mentioned that he could pick everything up.

Then we discussed a scene where you are in a crypt fighting the ghouls with the shields and swords, and he mentioned that he always got killed off quickly by some flying/levitating wizards that shoot lightning bolts during that very same scene. I said that there was only the two ghouls with shields and swords. Anyway, I went to his place for him to show me the spot in the game on his XBox.

It turns out that the MAC version of the game has about 12 FEWER LEVELS than the original version!!! And there are more bad guys in the original as well. Not to mention that there is a whole intro scene and series of levels which sets up the storyline prior to the point where the game begins for us on the MAC!

Is this news to just me? Or have some of you here known about this shortchanging in games for MAC users?

2. alxths macrumors 6502

I don't think the xbox version is the original... actually, I'm sure it's not..they added a bunch of stuff to both the xbox and ps2 versions.

3. car2nz thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you sure they "added stuff" to the XBox and PS2 versions? Or, as it would seem more likely to me, they EDITED OUT stuff from the MAC version?

4. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

They "added stuff" to the console versions.

From the Gamespot.com review:

"Nerve Software has now brought that game to the Xbox with most of its PC features intact, as well as some new levels and modes... While the PC version opens with B.J. trapped in a cell inside Castle Wolfenstein, the Xbox version tacks on a handful of new opening levels that are better at setting up the game's story."

From the Amazon.com description:

"Made for the Xbox: Return to Castle Wolfenstein - Tides of War delivers Dolby Digital 5.1 audio; new monsters, weapons, and useable items; an expanded story line, including new missions..."

5. DavidFDM macrumors regular

I liked RTCW until the end which I found very unfulfilling. It certainly wasn't that hard. I really enjoyed the combat in the towns. I am thinking about getting one of the WWII-era first-person shooters . . . Any suggestions?

- David

6. car2nz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that info. I don't feel ripped off anymore. But i did buy an Xbox system in the meantime, so I can check out those extra goodies.
    I think I'm gonna stick to doing work on my Mac. My work is fun anyway! I'll keep the games for the Xbox.

7. mowogg macrumors 6502

mowogg

WWII First Person Shooters

I've been playing Medal of Honor for a couple of years now. It's a great single player game and an even better online, multi-player game. The next expanion pack (breakthrough) should be out this month. You need Allied Assault to play the expansion packs, but the bundle the spearhead with Allied Asault in one box. I'd get that.
    Also, coming out in a couple of months is Call of Duty which was programmed by the original Medal of Honor team. It looks pretty good too. Haven't played that one yet, but I've heard good things about the PC version.

8. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

It depends what you want. If you want shoot em up action MoH is fine, but there are also some ultra realistic mods for Unreal tournament (the third reich) and UT2K3 (red orchestra) and UT2K4 (in development TTR and RO) all of which I love to play and eliminate cross hairs and replace them with good old fashioned iron sights

9. mattmack macrumors 6502a

mattmack

Also Battlefield 1942 is finally making its way to mac and it is an awesome fps for ww2