Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DazedNConfusedX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2004
East/South Bay Area, CA - USA
Hi - I'm using a Logitech Cordless Optical Trackball with my Mac. I'd like to assign a shortcut keystroke to one of the buttons that is equiivalent to clicking on a Mac OSX's window's green button (maximize/expand to fit screen). I try to stay up on all the key shortcuts to navigating through ones system and windows, etc., but I have yet to see a keyboard keystroke (combo) that serves as a shortcut to clicking that green button.

It's kind of a bitch to click on it with the trackball, as the trackball's movement precision isn't that good for small moves around the display screen (moving it less than 1/2 an inch, for example). I've already tried to configure the trackball to track well both my fast accelerated moves as well as the smaller more precise moves - but it can't do both equally well.

I hope someone has an answer! If there is no solution, then this is another one of those nagging user interface things that friggin' irks me about OSX. I still like it better than Winblows, but still... :)

DazedNConfusedX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2004
East/South Bay Area, CA - USA
I found one solution...

I got around to finding one way to "solve" my problem.

- Go to System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> Application Keyboard Shortcuts.

- Click the + button.

- In Menu Title, type Zoom.

- In Keyboard Shortcut, enter some key or key combo that it'll accept.

- Finalize your change by pushing all the buttons you need to exit finish up the process

- For you mouse/pointing device, if it has programmable buttons/gears/levers, you can configure one of them to be equivalent to pushing that keyboard shortcut key/key-combo. Then, your active window should "zoom" (size to fit) the contents after a click or two - at least it will do it somewhat, if not perfectly.

That was a frustrating ordeal but kind of fun to figure it out - not that it was some big secret. :) I hope the shortucts "stick" w/ my pointing device and keyboard, instead of acting inconsistently - as it sometime seems to do. I think there's some sort of peripheral-configuration/Firefox clash that is resulting in some inconsistent behavior. Sigh - another thing to work on... : :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.