shortcut to un-minimizing windows?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Star Destroyer, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

So far i have been using my keyboard shortcuts as much as i can instead of having to use the trackpad while on my macbook, but i have noticed that their is a keyboard shortcut to minimize a window (Apple+m) but once its down there thats its. I have not come across a shortcut to bring it back up, does one exist?

Its a little thing, but i have noticed it sucking, i guess i could just hide everything, but sometimes i just dont want to hahaa..

soo does it exist in Tiger?

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

what happens if you command+tab to that application you minimized?

3. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I have always wanted a shortcut for this as well. Command-tab does not work for un-minimizing windows.

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I think it works if you hide the application (Command+h), I always confuse the two.

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

You can do it from the keyboard...but it's not the most direct route. At least the way I found isn't.

You can shift focus to the dock by hitting control-F3, then cursor down or over to the hidden app, and hit enter.

6. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Yeah, you are right. In fact I think I might start using "hide" now instead of "minimize" simply because it does what I want better. I don't really need to see a little preview in the dock. Thanks for the tip!

7. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I've been playing with "hide" for the last few minutes. It does work really well but I found some limitations.

1. If you hide a window in say Firefox, it hides the entire app, so all the windows disappear.

2. You are limited to only hiding 3 apps at a time.

It still is pretty cool. Wish there was a way to combine hide and minimize. Maybe Spaces in Leopard will solve some of these things.

8. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

1. Why don't you use tabs in Firefox?

2. Nope, you can hide as many applications as you want.

9. Star Destroyer thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah i was playing around with this, and you can hide as many apps as you like, but still no un-minimizing :(

and when I ctrl-F3 all it does is adjust my volume..

10. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

1. Yes, because hiding hides the whole app, it's not meant for individual windows.

2. No, you can hide any amount of apps.

Try fn-ctrl-f3. it's cause the key on your laptop normally adjusts the volume unless you hold the fn key (you can reverse the behavior in System Preferences).

I almost never minimize windows. It would be nice if you could bring them back with a shortcut, but how would that work? You have to have some way of telling it which window you want to bring up, unless the shortcut were to un-minimize ALL windows. That wouldn't be so bad either.

11. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Yes, I use tabs in Firefox, but I also like having separate windows as well so I can command~ through them. Its more complicated to switch between tabs with the keyboard.

It is weird that I am only able to hide three Apps at a time. I tried it at least 20 times with different combinations of different programs and after I hid the 3rd app it would not let me hide any more.

12. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    That is weird, I just set ten apps to hide