Shortcuts for folders in the Finder??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by appletalk, Mar 1, 2005.

1. appletalk macrumors member

I use the shortcuts from the "go" menu in the finder all the time. Great for getting to your apps or home folder while your hands are on the keyboard.
    I was wondering if you can add your own folder shortcut either to the "go" menu or in other osx prefs?

I would love to be able to get to my work folder with a quick keyboard shortcut.

Thanks!

2. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I'm not sure what you're talking about with a "go" menu. But I think I can answer your question.

You can drag a folder into the right-hand side of the dock (right next to the trash). Or you can make an alias of the folder (File-Make Alias or Apple-L) and drag that to the desktop. An alias is pretty much the Mac equivalent of a Windows shortcut.

Now that I think about it, by "go" menu, do you mean the dock?

3. live4ever macrumors 6502a

4. appletalk thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I should have made it more clear...

I mean the menu in the finder, at the top of the screen you have "File" "Edit" "View" "Go" and "Help".

In the "Go" menu there are shortcuts to your apps folder, utilities folder, network, iDisk, ect. I see also that there is a "Go to Folder..." link there as well. (For instance, from the finder, hit apple+shift+A will get your apps folder)

I would like to make a new keyboard shortcut in that menu (or anywhere in osx) to a folder I store my work in.

Are you understanding?
    I already have shortut alias folders in my window and my dock. Thanks though.

5. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Yes, I understand now. I didn't even notice the folders in the Go menu and I've been using OS X since the public beta. :eek: I only use it for the "Connect to Server..."

But unfortunately, I don't think that the Go menu is customizable. I'm not completely sure, but someone else on the board should be able to confirm this. I did notice the "Go to Folder..." option. I know it isn't exactly what you're looking for, but you can get to a folder without leaving the keyboard.

6. appletalk thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much for the link. What a great piece of software. Not only does it let me set my keyboard shortcut, but I can do it from any app, not just the finder.

I hate relying on 3rd party software for things like this, as when the OS gets updated you have a chance of not getting your software upgraded and having to go back sucks.

After playing with this app for 5 minutes I am scared to continue. This program can really change the way you work. It would be horrible to have to go back after getting anything you want or are looking for in half a second. This program is got me exited in Tiger's spotlight and widgets features. I was not to exited before, but seeing how life with a zillion programs and files can be so easily found and sorted has opened my eyes.

Thanks again!

7. live4ever macrumors 6502a

The 1.0 version of QS will require Tiger - Spotlight searching will be built into it - 10.4 will make QS even better.

8. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Wow, I just reread my posts. I sound like an idiot. Oh well. :eek:

I'm glad you found Quicksilver. I've heard great things about it, but I never really liked it myself.

9. appletalk thread starter macrumors member

I understand this from the brief reading I have done off their site... Do you know if version 1.0 will bring a fee to use the program? Or is this staying as an open source type project?

Macaddicttt,
    Thanks for the quick replies. I am sure if I would have worded or explained myself better you would have been right there with the answer. Thanks for the help! :)