Shortcuts in iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Duda, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Duda macrumors newbie

Hi! Not many time ago I was reproducing my songs in Winamp, and the switch to iTunes has been quite difficult, but now i'm used to it except the shortcuts.

Normally i had to press Shift+Above Arrow to change the song to the next in the playlist. In iTunes i have to press Shift+Left arrow. The problem is that in Winamp i was able to change the song working in any application, but with iTunes i can't. Only if iTunes is above all app's i can change the songs by pressing the shortcut. Any idea to solve that problem?

Another thing that bothers me is that i haven't find the way to rewind or forward any song with any shortcut, not even with the remote control.

It's very important for me to change the songs during the reproduction without having to change the program in which i'm working and also have the oportunity to rewind the song.

Thank U!!!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i use Quicksilver's Triggers for this. i have the F6, F7, and F8 buttons programmed through QS to go back, pause/play, or advance a track (in that order).

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

As you've switched from Winamp I'm guessing your using the PC version of iTunes?

If so, this is probably more to your liking.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

:eek:

Sorry.

I assumed that since this was in the OS X forum, it was about a Mac. :) The shift-left and shift-right did throw me, though....

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You can use Winamp on a Mac via crossover so it's possible ;)

Reporting the post to get it moved to the iTunes forum anyway.

7. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i figured the OP switched from Windows to Mac so he was looking for something comparable to Winamp's controls on the Mac. whoops!

8. Duda thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, i've recently buy my MBP. I love it, i recommend all my friend to switch coz mac is really better than windows, but there are a few features that bother me. I know that the way to work with mac is different and normally more intuitive than windows, but i think it could be better. For example when you have to focus on iTunes if you want to tip a shortcut.

I've seen those links that you have post and they are very good, but do they rewind or forward??? As far as I have read they don't say nothing at all about this.

thank U for helping me!

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

As they are based on Applescript (probably) and iTunes allows Applescripts to rewind/fast forward I'd have though so, though I'm not a fan of these "remotes" myself, unless gaming.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

For what it's worth, the OS X shortcuts in iTunes for fast forward and reverse are Option-Apple-Right/Left. :)

11. Duda thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes they are, but they only act when iTunes is focused, so if you are working with pages you have to switch to iTunes and tip the shortcut. That's very annoying because you have to leave you works away for a few seconds.

Finally i've chosen iMote, which is a simple app that you can configure as you want and has a simply and pretty transparent pop up which tells you the song that is actually playing during three or four seconds. The only problem is the lack of rewind or forward option, but sure it will have soon.

So iMote is very recomendable. There are other apps which are more complex and also more expensive.