1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Shortnecks????

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by mnkeybsness, Aug 28, 2001.

1. macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

has anyone heard anything more about shortecks and the possibility of them for imacs??????

2. macrumors 6502a

maybe,maybe not.. there is no true answer,for now

3. macrumors member

Anyone know if or when they're going to be released for sales to the public?

4. macrumors 65816

evildead

excuse my ignorance... but what are shortnecks?

5. macrumors member

Shortnecks are the thin CRT monitors that IBM developed over in Ireland (methinks) a couple of months ago. Apparently, they're between 1 and 2 cm thin and they're supposed to look better than the CRTs we have right now. Unfortunately, from what I remember, they cost more to manufacture, but should still cost around the same ballpark figure to buy one.

I could be talking outta my arse though...

6. macrumors 65816

evildead

oh...

Thanks... I read about those a while ago. I just didn't know that they were being called "shortnecks" Cool idea but they I think they still use more power than LCD's and they still give off the same radiation. I thik I well stick to my LCD for a while

7. macrumors regular

actually...

I've heard the term "shortneck" used to refer to any CRT with a shorter neck than usual. The IBM screens should be called "neckless", because they actually don't have one. And yeah, they'll still only fix one CRT problem: size. Radiation, power, and eye strain still remain. But at least they'll be cheaper. I think that Apple will probably just wait till it's profitable to use an LCD. Remember, they are trying to go for an all-LCD lineup. Besides, from what Jobs has said, I'd be willing to bet they've already got them developed (or close to it) and putting one of those in would be a major design change, further pushing back the release date.