Shoud I get a Macbook air now or wait until July

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Hold, Dec 18, 2011.

  1. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 19, 2010
    #1
    My laptop is on it's last legs and I want to replace it with a macbook air. Should I get it now or wait? I could hold out until July 2012. When is the next refresh due?
     
  2. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2009
  3. macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2011
    #3
    It is impossible to tell when the next models will come out but if you can wait until July 2012, I would definitely wait. For this generation of MacBook Airs (the ones with SSD that debuted in October 2009), there was a 9 month gap between the July 2010 model and the previous model.

    You seem to be able to wait a full 12 months so one would assume there is a much higher chance of release within a 12 month window.
     
  4. macrumors 604

    theSeb

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2010
    Location:
    Poole, England
    #4
    I don't know.
     
  5. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2011
    Location:
    Scotland
    #5
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

    Do u want it now or are u wanting to wait till refresh then wen refresh comes u may aswell wait till next refresh ;-)
     
  6. pgiguere1, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011

    macrumors 68020

    pgiguere1

    Joined:
    May 28, 2009
    Location:
    Montreal, Canada
    #6
    Probably as soon as Intel releases their Ivy Bridge ULV processors (U-Series Core i5/i7).

    Right now they are planned for a May 2012 release. You should have the choice between 1.8 GHz and 2.0 GHz CPUs with 3D transistors, up to 2x the graphics performance, dual external display support, possibly better battery life and maybe USB 3.0 support.

    SSD prices will also have gone down by then and all models could have twice the current storage at the current price.
     
  7. macrumors 6502a

    doktordoris

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2009
    #7
    I don't expect perfect english in these fora, but come on. Make a slight effort.
     
  8. macrumors 6502a

    Beanoir

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2010
    Location:
    51 degrees North
    #8
    Why don't you just buy it when you need it?
     
  9. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2011
    Location:
    Belfast
    #9
    I think if you need/ want it now there is no reason to wait other than for speculated specs that probably won't effect your use heavily at all / be wait the 8 month wait for in the first place.
     
  10. macrumors 65816

    aeboi

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2009
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #10
    If you have to ask, you probably don't need it as badly as you suggest.
     
  11. macrumors regular

    Danno21

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2011
    #11

    ^^^

    Wait for the new model with Ivy Bridge. IB isn't a huge step up from Sandy Bridge for desktops, but it's a huge step up for notebooks/ultrabooks because of the GPU performance.
     
  12. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2011
    Location:
    Singapore
    #12
    Unless you absolutely need it now, I'd wait.
     
  13. macrumors 65816

    jvmxtra

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2010
    #13
    I for one do not want to wait but cannot afford it.

    If you can afford it, sounds like you should be able to afford it again once new one come out(with little additional money and sale of current one)... so I say go for it now and enjoy the goodness now and enjoy it again when new one come out.. Why not???
     
  14. macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 7, 2009
    Location:
    Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    #14
    option 1.
    if you need it now or in the near future, then buy now.

    by the sounds of it, the first half of 2012 should see new look MBPro's, thus I doubt there'll be a new Air released at the same time …

    unless …

    the new look MBPro's are sufficiently look-alike to the Air in which case expect Ivy Bridge Airs too.

    that said, Apple may drop the 13" MBPro if favour of Airs and upscale the new-look MBPro's in the 15" and 17" screen sizes

    it's all speculation and rumor anyway, so I'd go with option 1 ;)
     
  15. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2011
    Location:
    Singapore
    #15
    A little analysis that I did.

    I bought my first Mac - a Macbook Air 11" in February. It was the time I got a new job and I wanted to give myself a little reward on the spot.

    I'm kind of a hardware freak and I can't stand to have last years model, so when the Sandy Bridge models came out, I bought a 13" Ultimate in early August.

    I kept the 11" for a while as I loved the small form factor and preferred if for some situations like going to the cafe, but after a while I realized it was really silly having two Airs so the 11" had to go.

    I just sold it, took a big hit on the price, but I figured that it cost me $50/month in depreciation to own the 11".

    With this in mind, I'm perfectly happy to spend $50 a month and always enjoy the latest technology. That's why I've decided to upgrade every year, simply because the resale on Macs are so good. I had no trouble selling mine on eBay in one week.

    So, no matter what I think you could buy one now and reasonable expect to sell yours and upgrade later if you felt the need to.

    The key is to keep your machine in perfect condition. People love the beauty of these machines and a scratch or dent can take hundreds off of the value. I'd also avoid Apple Care as you won't recover the value and you are covered the first year anyway.
     
  16. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2011
    Location:
    Scotland
    #16
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

    My bad lol If you see my other posts you will see its a one off. Whats a fora? This question gets asked like every other day explaining the erratic reply apoligies to all for my terrible English
     
  17. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2011
    #17
    If you need a Mac now, get a 2010 MBA refurb and skip the 2011. The 2012 should run much cooler, have better graphics, and hopefully 10 hours battery life.
     
  18. macrumors 68000

    Confuzzzed

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2011
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #18
    My understanding, the Ivy bridge won't add too much processing power but if you are into graphics for whatever reason (most people's graphics needs centre around gaming) then I would wait because the ivy bridge processor will be a marked improvement on the current generation sandy bridge. But...having owned both the 2010 and 2011 incarnations, I would have to say neither leave a lot to be desired on processing power and I, for one, haven't noticed much of a difference in the 2011 not having a dedicated GPU. But then again, I am not a gamer. If you need a laptop buy it now. Besides, as others suggested, you can sell it in May and get most of your money back!! Good luck.
     
  19. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2011
    Location:
    Singapore
    #19
    Its one of the beauty of owning a Mac. Even if you are one, or even two cycles behind, your machine is really not obsolete, nor do they look that much different from the current models.
     
  20. macrumors 6502a

    GekkePrutser

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2005
    Location:
    Ireland
    #20
    I'd wait if you absolutely need any of the following:

    • A 20% CPU increase
    • A 30% GPU increase
    • USB 3.0

    Because those features are most likely for an Ivy Bridge Air.

    However I don't think there will be anything that really needs the CPU or GPU increase that heavily. It's only one-fifth to one-third of an increase. It's hard to imagine any use case that would really not work one-fifth slower (and be worth waiting 6 months for).

    However the USB 3.0 I can see to be a serious improvement. With the current USB 2.0 you're limited to 40MB/s off any external drive unless you spend a fortune on a Thunderbolt drive.

    With USB 3.0 you can get an external drive for cheap and have nice and fast speeds off it. If you are going to rely on external storage a lot it might be worth the wait.

    Mind you, it is by no means certain that the Ivy Bridge air will come in June, and that it will feature USB 3.0 or those speed increases. It's all speculation (but a fair guess considering the Ivy Bridge release date and specs).

    Personally I'd go for a refurb now, and just resell it once the Ivy Bridge ones come out. The resale value on a refurb will probably be a bit better than on a new one.
     
  21. macrumors 68030

    Steve121178

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    Location:
    Bedfordshire, UK
    #21
    If it's on it's last legs then replace it now unless it's not on it's last legs.

    If you really don't need it now, then wait. Only you can answer the question, not us.
     
  22. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2011
    #22
  23. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2011
    #23
    Why not wait until the refresh in 2024? The point is technology is always changing and advancing. You will never win when it comes to technology so if you want/need one now buy one now.
     
  24. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2008
    Location:
    Downtown San Diego
    #24
    Another benefit is the battery life improvement. I've seen it speculated we'll see increases of at least an hour. Not huge and Haswell or converting to ARM will likely be more significant, but significant nonetheless.
     
  25. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2011
    Location:
    T E X A S
    #25
    If you need now, buy now.

    If you can wait then wait.
     

Share This Page