Should A Person's Opinion be Dismissed Due to a Grammatical Error?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by guzhogi, Oct 9, 2013.

1. macrumors 68020

guzhogi

This was posted in another thread. I find it trolling and hurtful.

I disagree that just because someone had a grammatical mistake, especially something as simple as using "of" instead of "have", makes that person incompetent. I find what makes someone competent is not necessarily how someone talks, but what that person talks about.

In this person's example regarding people working at NASA, I wonder if he would totally dismiss someone who holds several doctorates just because English may be his/her 2nd, 3rd, or 4th+ language? I wonder if this person is one of those people who wants the USA's main language set to English and anyone who doesn't speak it perfectly should get deported.

While I admit, speaking a language correctly is important to be able to understand one another, just to dismiss an opinion outright due to grammatical errors is wrong, in my opinion.

2. macrumors 68020

Mac'nCheese

You makes very good points and is reason why forum rules does say that it is against them to correct grammar and spelling and such as.

3. macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

It depends. If English is the person's first language and they still make grammatical errors, it's a sign of laziness. If you are an adult and your entire life you have been been saying "could of" instead of "could have" and never bothered to think about how "could of" doesn't make any sense, it just seems like laziness. Obviously a person who makes grammatical errors is not very detail oriented. It just reminds me of texting tweens. I can see how it is difficult to take these peoples' opinions seriously.

4. macrumors 6502a

IMO, offer up a correction, but otherwise evaluate the post based on the content, not the delivery.

Only if the post is incomprehensible or overly difficult to read should it be dismissed.

Although I do admit to having a twitch every time I see "could care less." The improper use of "begs the question" and "literally" are also pet peeves of mine.

Then again, language changes over time, no matter how hard anybody tries to keep it the same. Years from now, maybe "could of" will be considered proper formal usage.

5. macrumors 68040

When you type as fast as I do. It's hard not to make errors. You subconsciously type like you talk. I usually hit Preview Post before I hit Submit when typing something longer than several sentences. And also, auto correct can be the culprit many times.

Some people are just anal pricks when it comes to grammar. The only thing I ignore is when people type a wall of text with no periods.

6. macrumors 604

iJon

In my opinion, when people start commenting on grammar and spelling, they don't have much else to argue on and they latch on to that.

This is the internet, some of us are typing fast, typing on our phones, and often times errors are made

7. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think it has a lot more down to your upbringing. Worrying too much about grammar rules is just a way of keeping the poor down.

That said understanding correct grammar probably does make sense for people in QA.

8. macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

So that the illiterate and undereducated can be completely dismissed? Absolutely not.

Correct grammar and spelling are essential for proper communication, but we can't simply dismiss a person for failing to achieve this.

9. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Agreed. An error won't ruin a well thought out post, but it does have a way of completely wrecking one that isn't.

10. macrumors 68000

Happybunny

English is my fourth language.

I find myself torn on this subject. I do agree that this is a PRSI forum on the internet, and not a school room; but some times there are faults which are just laughable. I also notice that posting, using an iPhone makes the job of typing fast extremely difficult.
    I would like to point out that, good grammar and spelling of your own language should be second nature to most of you. Some of us spend a great amount of time to get our posts right both in spelling and grammar, this is done as a common decency to other users.

11. macrumors regular

What??

12. macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

The poor often have substantially reduced access to education as well as far more pressing matters to attend to (i.e. eating).

Does that make the connection for you?

13. macrumors regular

Oh, I completely understand the correlation, I just find the leap to "keeping them down" a fairly silly notion.

14. macrumors 68020

Mac'nCheese

The poor don't go to school because they are too busy eating. Got it.

15. macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

And this is why I don't visit PRSI very often. :rolleyes:

----------

Not my choice phrasing, but we could interpret it (dismissing a person because of imperfect grammar) as a method of oppression.

16. macrumors 68020

Raid

This literally begs the question of why you get so peeved when you consider these to be improperly used... Though this is a bit off topic, and I could care less if you addressed this or not. :D

Generally I agree that while poor grammar does nothing to support your point, it can't detract from the meaning; as long as the grammar structure is not an impediment to understanding the meaning and intent of the message.

17. macrumors 6502a

Funny you say that - I deliberately misused "literally kills me" as a joke in a post about grammar once (even drew attention to the joke via italics and a smiley) and people still thought I was serious in my misuse and took delight in pointing out my "mistake." *sigh*

Internet. Serious business.

18. Moderator emeritus

Ran the first 14 posts in this thread through Grammerly. It found 44 critical writing issues, generated four word choice corrections and scored 52 out of 100 i.e. weak, needs revision.

Details as follows:

Plagiarism — Unoriginal text detected
    Contextual Spelling Check — Two issues
    Grammar — 18 issues
    Use of articles (2)
    Incorrect use of prepositions (1)
    Comparing two or more things (1)
    Punctuation — Four issues
    Punctuation within a sentence (4)
    Style and Word Choice — 19 issues
    Writing style (15)
    Vocabulary use (4)

Of course, being a paragon of punctuation, this unfortunately means I'll have to put you all on 'Ignore'. No hard feelings. Hope it's understandable.

19. macrumors 68020

Mac'nCheese

Missing obvious sarcasm is my pet peeve.

----------

Because people point out that you post silly things?

20. macrumors 6502a

I'm really curious about which post triggered that one. Is one of the PRSI posters an expert-systems bot? :)

21. macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

You're welcome to think that what I post is silly but not to misrepresent what I say.

22. macrumors 68020

Mac'nCheese

You're totally welcome to correct me.

23. macrumors 68040

bradl

My guess is the OP. There is no source for the given quote.

BL.

24. macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

I'm sorry that I don't have time to write a proper essay, but you may read a bit more about poverty and education in this booklet published by The International Academy of Education and the International Institute for Educational Planning. There are references at the end for further exploration.

25. macrumors 68020

Mac'nCheese

No thanks. If you can't back up what you wrote on you own, you're probably better off staying out of PRSI.