Should Apple allow users to downgrade to ios 6?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Italianblend, Oct 3, 2013.

?

Should Apple Allow ios7 users to downgrade back to ios 6?

1. Yes

304 vote(s)
    52.0%
  2. No

271 vote(s)
    46.3%
  3. Other

10 vote(s)
    1.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors 65816

I think it's ridiculous that people can't downgrade back. What if your phone simply can't handle the new ios? If I had an iphone 4 and I didn't like the way my phone handled it, I'd be really mad that apple doesn't allow me to switch back.

2. macrumors 6502a

MarcusCarpenter

It's only necessary to run older versions of OS for compatibility, iOS7 will have the best compatibility for newer apps as developers will slowly drop support for 6.

It's probably the same reason a percentage of people still run Snow Leopard due to PPC support

3. macrumors regular

ParanoidDroid

Yes, please. I'm begging you Apple!

4. macrumors 6502

People had 3 days to go back before Apple stoped signing iOS6.

5. macrumors 603

Menel

no

6. macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Yes...

7. macrumors 6502a

RedRaven571

3 days is nothing, I didn't notice any problems with iMessage for the first week.

Apple does not own your phone, you do, you should be able to downgrade, if you would like, whenever you like.

I understand if new phones (i.e. - 5c and 5s) are only compatable with iOS 7, but existing phones should have the option to downgrade.

8. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Don't you mean Leopard? :confused:

Snow Leopard is Intel only.

9. macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

3 day really isn't enough for most people. There are people upgraded after that 3 days either because they were hesitated or they were busy.

3 day isn't really enough time for people to get full experience on a new OS...

10. macrumors 6502a

MarcusCarpenter

yes but SL had PPC emulation to run PPC apps on intel

11. macrumors 6502

No, no, thrice no. Give up your quaint notion of ownership, as if your iPhone is a PC and you have IOS 6 on floppies ready to re-install. When you buy an iPhone you're not buying a machine with a shrink wrapped operating system, you're buying an ecosystem, it's bigger than you and it evolves and there's nothing you can or should do about that other than work with it, or bin your phone. It's that simple.

12. macrumors 6502a

MarcusCarpenter

Also you can have as many polls as you like Apple will never EVER allow users to downgrade it's as simple as that.

13. macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

Yes, there are a lot of people wanting to downgrade

14. macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

What downgrade has to do with ecosystem? When you are buying PC, aren't you buying into Windows ecosystem as well? When you are buying Mac, aren't you buying into Mac ecosystem as well? What is so different on iOS side than Windows/ Mac side?

15. macrumors 6502

In my opinion, you should always be able to restore it back to its stock condition. This means whatever operating system the phone shipped with.

16. macrumors 603

Tyler23

17. macrumors 601

Armen

Apple wouldn't release the OS for your Phone if it couldn't handle it.

Example: the iPhone 3GS.

18. macrumors regular

ParanoidDroid

That is exactly the case with my iPhone 4. It's just too slow for the new colors. and I hate Apple and my iPhone now!

19. macrumors 6502

No, Apples entire business model is based on a captive audience. In order to continue to maximize profits, Apple must sell more hardware and software.

20. macrumors 68020

Sodner

I think like, dare I say Microsft, all software should have an end-of-life date and it should not be 2 days after you release the newer version. Apple pulled iOS6 way to soon. Should stay "signed" for AT LEAST 3 monts to give people options, at least while early bugs are resolved.

21. tkermit, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013

macrumors 68030

tkermit

Seems like mine works at least as well on 7 as it did on 6. Really enjoy using it, too. :) Sorry you hate it. Give it some more time maybe? :(

EDIT: One thing that is definitely a lot less smooth is the UIPicker though...

22. macrumors regular

It's all about the money, you have an older phone and iOS 7 doesn't run well? We give you three days to revert but just so you know eventually you'll have to upgrade to iOS 7 anyway. So, get rid of that old phone and buy our new 5C or S!

23. macrumors 6502

Yes. I've met a lot of disgruntled people these past few days and I think it would be wise to provide them with a choice. For a lot of people, iOS 7 isn't the quality OS that they fell in love when they purchased their phone. Now that they've lost it they may start looking at alternative phones.

The 5S might be popular now due to the usual excitement that comes with a new iphone launch, but I think we will see a backlash in the next few months.

24. thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't see how 3 days is enough time. Some people may not have noticed it was even available until well after the 3 days, then upgraded thinking they could just go back.

----------

Read about some ios 7 iphone 4 owners before you are blindly backing :apple: on this.

----------

now that I think about it; :apple: makes money off of this "forced" ios 7. If you have an ipad 2 and ios 7 is choppy on it and you can't go back, consumer thinks he/she needs a better ipad. Cha-ching, :apple: collects another $800

25. Armen, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013

macrumors 601

Armen

the iPhone 4 meets the minimum requirements for iOS 7. It may not run as fast and smooth as the iPhone 5 but it's nowhere near "unusable".

I personally helped 3-4 users in the office update to iOS 7 on their iPhone 4. I can see how it's not as fast as it is on my iPhone 5 but it's not this "end of the world" experience either.

You also need to consider all it takes is a few patches and Apple will usually iron out battery and performance issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.