Should Apple bring back 19 & 21 inch CRT Monitors

Discussion in 'Community' started by 3777, Jan 29, 2003.

1. 3777 macrumors 6502

Just saw a picture of people playing UT2003 on an Apple LCD monitor at MacWorld and it wasn't a pretty sight. Incredibly blurry, a lot of the "ghosting" affect. If apple is ever going to really be a viable gaming machine shouldn't they bring back the CRT monitor?

2. job macrumors 68040

job

Or you could just buy a refurb Sony or LaCie or Formac or...

You get the idea.

CRT's are already widely available and in such a section of the computer industry, would Apple still be able to remain a viable choice?

3. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

i personally liked the apple CRTs, but i can pretty much guarantee that Apple will not bring them back. Steve said that the CRT is dead, although it would be a nice alternative to the highly priced LCDs. But like hitman said, they are widely available and there just isn't a real good reason for them to start making them again. :rolleyes:

4. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

eMac.....
    eMac.....

I like CRTs. Yeah, they are not as bright, and don't look as cool, but then again LCD's are slow and expensive. And too bright.

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

CRT = bad. LCD = high-tech.

you see things in black and white when you're steve jobs.

for everything but gaming, i like LCD's a lot. for big gamers, there are a lot of 3rd party. But eventually (OLED?) LCD's will be suitable for any task...

so no, i don't think they should bring them back. at all.

pnw

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I have a crt 17 studio display. I dont think apple will do this. as far as the picture you saw of ut2003 are you sure it wasnt the camera and not the display? Also Lcds are getting more refined and the technology is getting better and better and consumes less power. factor in wide screens so why would Mac step back when they are a company looking to the future.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Sorry for the 2nd post but i would like to hear from someone at the expo who saw the game running and their comments on how it looked and played using the new ati 9700.

9. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

10. 3777 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yhea but it's not the same when you just put a PC Crt on a Powermac:D The Formac is LCD ..... I actually like the Formac more then the Apple LCD.

11. job macrumors 68040

job

Ah crap, I meant Viewsonic.

For some bizzare reason I always switch Formac and Viewsonic.

12. 3777 thread starter macrumors 6502

Speaking of Formac, I really think they will have to drop their prices very soon.....Apple's 20" is currently running about $400 less then Formacs

13. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

The specs on the Formac 20" LCD are still impressive compared to the Apple LCD, esp. the 600:1 contrast ratio.

I do prefer the widescreen tho'...but I don't understand the resolution choice!:confused:

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree that the CRT is dead. Steve is correct to move ahead with LCD. Better looking, take less room, no heat, & I believe use less energy

15. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

" Should Apple bring back 19 & 21 inch CRT Monitors? "

NO. :D

16. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

Apple still ets you buy a CRT when you buy a powermac. its even available from the pulldown menu. but i think apple offers this because of the cost of lcds not for any other reason.

ive played almost every major title game that has come out of the past 5 years and i have never had a problem with the game due to my using an LCD. i have had problems due to inadequate graphics acrds or processors but the lcds are never a factor in the performance of the game.

apple doesnt need to sell CRTS. saying that is a bit like saying apple shoudl bring back floppy drives or serial ports. it is old obsolete ineffecient technology that in addition to offering the user nothing would not make apple any money.

17. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i have the 20 inch apple crt and it sucks. blurry as crap, but what do you expect, its old technology. All you have to do is go buy a sony triniton, thats what the apple 20 inches used.

iJon

18. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I agree that Apple should not bring back the CRT. I think that Apple is trying to look toward the future, and CRTs are becoming a thing of the past.

19. cubist macrumors 68020

I saw rows of imacs playing all kinds of games at MWNY, and use them myself for the games I have, and all looked wonderfully sharp, no submarining or shadowing, good off-axis viewability. To me, nowadays, most CRTs look blurry ("grainy", like the pixels are fuzzy).

If you want to buy a CRT, I agree with 3777, Viewsonic is the brand I'd suggest. They're sharp, last a long time, priced affordably.

20. mangoduck macrumors regular

can anyone besides me not stand lcds? after years of staring at crts they feel horribly slow. and the "fuzziness" that some use to describe crts is what makes them look great compared to flat panels. trying to read text off an lcd is painful because the pixels don't look contiguous. i swear i can see spaces between them, so everything looks jagged and oversharpened.

my complaints about crts are few -- distortion and weight. refresh isn't much of an issue these days with high rates being fairly common. however i think viewing angle, resolution, clarity, and price easily outweigh the cons of the 'tube.

i'm not looking forward to purchasing an lcd, though it's inevitable that i will eventually. i'd like to see much faster pixel response time (as close to zero as possible plz) and greatly increased pixel density (eliminating any "grid" that may be there. makes me think of icon editors that have an optional grid so you can tell the pixels apart when magnified.)

21. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

That's the badger

This is the thing - it make me feel that current LCD tech is still beta.

buying an LCD would be like buying OS X 10.0, I did it to show support, I wanted things to move quicker in that direction.

22. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

that is what makes him hit a home run and make a lot of cash for apple but what also makes him lose twice as much for apple

under the former ceo, apple had 6 bil in cash reserves and a 6 percent market share...which i thought was bad

now with the long run under jobs since 97, we have less than 4 bil and a 1 1/2 percent market share

black and white may work to amaze people on the short term with imac in 98, ibook a year later, and a stock over 100 dollars a share...but that shortsighted thinking and a good dose of megalomania, from sj, has made apple sit on the brink of extinction

and each and every time, we have bailed him out because mac users are faithful and more likely to stick to apple than the average pc user who buys one brand one year, and two years later buys another brand and thinks nothing of it