Should Apple buy Adobe?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dpertell, Apr 20, 2004.

1. dpertell macrumors newbie

iPhoto 4 = Photoshop Album 2.0 and Photoshop Elements

Motion = Adobe After Effects

Final Cut Pro = Adobe Premiere Pro

DVD Studio Pro 3 = Adobe Encore DVD

Logic = Adobe Audition

Shake = Adobe Video Collection

Not sure how much Adobe is worth, but why not Apple buy Adobe and kill off the PC version(s). That way it will increase mac sells. Just a thought. Why they are at it, why not Macromedia!?

2. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)

for one thing, adobes market cap sometimes exceeds apples, so that would be a no go. and i dont think that apple would have enough money to buy both of them! also, i really doubt that they would be allowed to drop PC versions of this software.

3. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

That sounds distinctly Microsoft-ian.....

I don't think that Apple could or should buy out Adobe. There are doing a good job on there own and Apple is already becoming rather spread out for such a relatively small company.

4. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)

well, think about it. The US gov't would say they were trying to create a monopoly and M$ would sue..... that's all i was saying... I would be happy if apple did buy them out and drop PC versions!

5. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

Are we gonna rehash this again? It's been posted just recently and argued into the ground. It ain't gonna happen!

6. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

I wish I remembered where the excellent post breaking down Apple's likely options to buy out other companies were. Adobe is out of reach for the moment, but they would make an amazing acquisition and solidify the Mac as a full-range solution in the creative market. That's not to say that they aren't now, but with the buyout, it would do some interesting things.

I wouldn't drop the products for Windows, but I would decrease the pace of development until Microsoft starts optimizing VirtualPC fully and opens the DirectX standard to others. Optimize the code to give macs an advantage, then sell to the Linux market, as well. It would make an incredible cash cow for Apple, in the long run, and only strengthen the company.

7. JamesDPS macrumors regular

Again, Apple neither could (from their point of view) or should (from my point of view -- competition = good). And since when did Logic compare to Audition? Audition is comparable to Soundtrack, perhaps, but Logic is primarily a sequencer (competing with Digital Performer, also only available for Mac, and Cubase, probably the best Windows-supported competitor), that has amazing audio mixing abilities (almost comparable to ProTools) and with Logic Pro, a whole bunch of other amazing and awesome things included... Logic isn't just a fancied-up version of GarbageCan or something...

8. mikepctp macrumors member

Apple control PDF and Acrobat's future? Never, not in this world... would never be "allowed"... too many other OS's out there reading and writing PDFs.

9. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Prolly wouldn't make a difference (other than Adobe apps becoming more consistent with each other). Over 50% of the creative suite was bought for the Mac. And I'm sure most of the other half sold for PCs were just design students in college who planned to get a Mac after college but couldn't afford a Mac and the creative suite.

10. encro macrumors 6502

encro

Ooh lets all roll around in green jelly pulling each other off in celebration that you think Apple should buy Adobe and Macromedia!!!

Personally I like the fact that software works in a different way when made by different companies. It might increase Apple's market share but it is probably an investment Apple is happy leaving alone.

Who cares how much market share Apple have!!! (well until I own Apple shares anyway :) ) Apple is doing just great.

11. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

LOL, crazy mac fanatic. Maybe MS should buy out Apple and sell it off by parts, that way we can stop the fastest computer in the world non-sense, and all the over pricing.

w/o a PC version, Apple can charge 3-4 times (their usual habit) for Adobe software. What are you? An idiot? Do you even know the word Monopoly?

12. thatwendigo macrumors 6502a

thatwendigo

Wow, that was mature. :rolleyes:

Do you like the fact that hardly anybody really optimizes for the mac? At least when Apple picks up a software package, it means that we're likely to get better coding and use of system resources. VirtualPC is one of the programs I would have much rather seen Apple producing, and I'd love to see what would happen if Apple programmers got a shot at redoing some of Adobe's stuff.

Nobody said they weren't.

Ah, right, because that would somehow benefit Apple and the mac platform? :confused: Acquiring Adobe would, for the reasons that have been brought up.

It's going to take a LONG time before Apple could ever be accused of being a monopoly, even where they're currently market leaders (digital music sales and players). Perhaps you ought to think about your allegations, since a monopoly means full control of a market to the degree that there is no meaningful competitor. This isn't the case in the graphics field, even if Adobe is the largest player.

13. encro macrumors 6502

encro

:) No, it wasn't but I'm not going to sanitize everything I say...
    You could say I'm quite sick of the whole Apple fanatic thing.

Well to be honest it would be a lot better is more applications were optimized for G4/G5/AltiVec systems and Adobe and Macromedia need to keep a similar codebase for both platforms. Not all of Apple's code is brilliant or fast either; take GarageBand (GarbageCan) for example... Virtual PC did actually get a lot of help from Apple when under the ownership of Connectix, we may have seen an earlier G5 release of VirtualPC 7 if Apple had purchased it none the less.

Apple still has the ability to create any application they consider viable.

14. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

And to think that in the Graphics and Multimedia world Apple reins supreme. Though with only [what] 14% of the market share in computers overall Adobe is probably outselling PC versions of software over Mac versions. It would be interesting to see what Adobe actually does sell in relation to PC vs Mac saftware. and remember we're talking world wide distribution. So where would one find such information?