Should Apple Re-Word This?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by comrade, Sep 9, 2003.

1. comrade macrumors regular

Weird question. But this comes from their iPod site:

"On the bottom of the iPod, you’ll find a handy new dock connector that enables it to link to a computer and sync files via blazingly fast FireWire 400 (Mac or Windows) or USB 2.0 (Windows only). The dock connector also charges the iPod."

Now that the new iMacs have USB 2.0, shouldn't they change that statement? I mean, obviously FireWire is better, but it could be done, right?

If I'm coming of as being anal, sorry : ) . I'm wondering if there are reasons behind this that i don't know about (like that maybe it does not work with usb 2.0 on macs).

2. macboy macrumors regular

I believe the mac version only uses FireWire.

The PC version has a special dock for USB 2.0.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Although Macs do have USB2, no one in their right mind would use it, unless thats all they had. OSX doesn't have drivers for iPod over USB, that is why it is Windows Only. Also, even USB2 is much slower in sustained throughput than FW400. Also, USB2 for Windows is more common than Firewire, and even more common that Firewire w/Power, thats really why the USB stuff is pointed to Windows only.

TEG

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The is one iPod, one Dock, no special version for Mac or PC.
    There is however a dock cable available $19.99. It has USB2 and Firewire together. You hook the USB to the PC, the FW to the Power Adaper. That gets around the limitations of PC USB and FW (While Macs power both busses, few PCs do, and PC-USB has barely enough power to run a keyboard and mouse at once.)

TEG

5. comrade thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, so there is no driver support for OSX, that's what I was wondering. Don't worry, I wasn't slamming Firewire. I realize it is better. Charging and transfering through the same cord is the way to go.

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I'm just making sure anyone else browsing understands too. Not a personal attack.

TEG

7. comrade thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't take it that way. Just weren't sure if we were on the same page :)