Should boys be able to hit girls?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Firestar, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Firestar, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012

macrumors 68020

Firestar

I personally think that if someone deserves to be hit, they should be hit, regardless of gender. The fact that that they're not male shouldn't deter that. What is defined as deserving probably differs between people.

Please tell what you think about this issue, and explain your reasoning or quote someone else's.

Mods: If you think this belongs in PRSI, please move it, as this could possibly be considered a Social Issue.

Edit: I guess you don't understand what I'm saying. I do not mean serious physical violence. By hitting I mean casually and lightly.

2. macrumors 68030

einmusiker

this won't end well :rolleyes:

3. macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I agree.
    Lots of females say they should be treated equally yet,
    -we cant hit them
    -they (at least around me) are not as courteous (hold doors open, good manners)

The whole "equals" thing is garbage in my opinion.

That is not to say that all are this way, some I beleive would not mine equal punishment

4. macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

The only reason ever to hit anyone, man or woman, is to stop them from hurting you or someone you care about. If everyone lived by this logic, the world would be a much, much, much better place.

5. macrumors 603

quagmire

Only in defense of myself or someone I care about( but that really goes for hitting anyone).

6. macrumors 68040

chrf097

Girl hits Guy - No one cares. Guy sucks it up and Girl is satisfied.

Guy Hits Girl - Society FREAKS. Guy is jailed and sent to anger management for a few years. Girl is sheltered at an abuse clinic then sent to therapy for a year.

I have MANY more examples for many different situations of this.

7. macrumors 601

Plutonius

but what about hitting on ?

8. macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

This is what I was trying to explain about how they want to be treated as equals..

9. macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Men and women are programmed differently, perfect equality is not possible.

10. Guest

eric/

So shouldn't' that be reflected in society and our laws?

Can't have your cake and eat it too.

11. macrumors 6502

Daffodil

^This. I don't go around hitting people, nor do I expect to be hit either... I suppose in a desperate situation, I'd try to defend myself, but I disagree with the OP's premise of hitting people who "deserve to be hit." Physical violence is not the answer.

12. thread starter macrumors 68020

Firestar

I think sometimes physical violence is sometimes the answer. Like I said, our idea of 'deserving' may conflict and/or differ.

Edit: By physical violence I don't mean beating the crap out of someone. I've never actually hit someone seriously, I mean lightly hitting them.

13. macrumors 6502

Daffodil

What sort of situation are you talking about here? Honestly, I can't think of a single regularly recurring situation in my life where physical violence has any place. (Though maybe that reflects more on me... :eek:)

14. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

Can you be more specific, then?

IMO violence is only acceptable in case of self-defense, including defending someone you care about. And defending means that you were violently attacked first.

15. macrumors 68000

maril1111

I think violence in any case regardless of why, should not happen, self-defense is something that may be an exception but in quite a few of cases it can't be proven if the person was simply defending themselves or just trying to get away with less punishment-in case of going in front of a judge.

16. thread starter macrumors 68020

Firestar

See my edit. I don't think extreme physical violence is the answer in any case except self defense.

17. macrumors 68000

Happybunny

Speaking as a father and grandfather, if some body hit one of my princess.:mad: (it would go down hill very quickly.)
    I would ambush the bastard with a 12 gauge, fire 2 rounds of 00 Shot in the legs, with the scum screaming on the ground, I would pour petrol over his body and set him on fire. And watch him die.

On the plus side I would not piss on the body.:D

18. macrumors 603

quagmire

What if she was the one who started it first and the guy was merely defending himself?

Obviously, self-defense doesn't give me the right to beat the girl to a bloody pulp. Only the force necessary for self-defense is needed.

19. macrumors 68000

maril1111

Just wondering, (theoretical question) if your daughter hit the said person first (without the person doing anything) and gets lightly slapped by the other party you would kill them?

20. macrumors 604

anjinha

If a girl hit a guy to the point where he had cracked ribs, a black eye, broken lip, bloody nose, etc. I can guarantee you she wouldn't get away with it.

Usually the cases you see of a girl hitting a guy it's at most a slap, not that that's ok either, but there's a big difference between that and beating someone up.

21. thread starter macrumors 68020

Firestar

What if some body hit one of your 'princes' (if you don't have any, then theoretically)?

22. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Should boys be able to hit girls?

Boys? Girls?

Ladies don't hit. They have no need, devious little things that they are. ♥

Men don't hit Women. If necessary, they restrain them, although today's Woman is far removed from one in say the 18th Century.

If they then start trying to kick you in the nads, I say drop them. Solar Plexus will do. Knock the wind out of them. No need to damage their face.

(See you all in PRSI, later.)

23. macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Perhaps our misunderstanding comes down to semantics? When you say you want to be able to "hit" girls, that's pretty ambiguous.

To me, it sounded like girl does X, then you punch her, cause she deserves it. Like, you're in a really bad fight with a soon-to-be ex-gf and you hit her. I take it that's not what you actually meant, because at least to me, that falls under physical violence (tacking on "extreme" seems extraneous, since violence is a strong term already)...

But then what are you actually talking about? If I'm joking around with a friend, and he playfully punches my shoulder (lightly enough that it doesn't hurt), that's no big deal. If that's what the OP is referring to, I guess girls around your parts are different if they get all snippy over it... I certainly can't imagine the sort of reaction chrf097 or wrinkster22 mention from a light tap.

But if you're somewhere in between these examples, could you please be more specific? Girl does X and you "hit" her. What is X? Where/how hard do you hit? To me, joking around is fine, but if you're actually expressing your emotions, that's crossing a line.

(Sorry if this seems a little pedantic, just trying to understand your position...)

24. macrumors 601

fireshot91

I don't really think so. Unless they do something such as harm somebody else, I don't use violence.

25. thread starter macrumors 68020

Firestar

Joking around with a friend is what I'm talking about. I'm not saying that they do get angry, I'm asking if they boys should be able to hit girls (still in a jokingly way).