Should I back everything up?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bill4588, Oct 27, 2006.

1. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

Well, I was planning on taking my Macbook in for repair because it was having random shutdowns, screen flicker, and it's turning orange. But since the latest software update, the random shutdowns as well as the screen flicker are gone. It seems now that the only thing needed to be fixed is the casing. Do you think i will lose my data? I don't see why I would since they're just replacing the casing. The problem is, I don't have an external drive. Should I go out and buy one or just trust that all my data will be safe?

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Yeah, get the external drive, or some optical media, and back up anything you care about.

This isn't just because you're sending the machine out for service, any HD can call it quits at any time.

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Backup EVERYTIME you send it anywhere. I also erase all my apps and docs so they cant nick my serials and vital info. Call me paranoid but you cant trust anyone these days.

I had a graphics card replaced once and received a call that everything was fine and should go and pick it up. I got to the store to find two tech guys playing Americas Army on my machine (using my account) when it should of been boxed up ready for me to take home. I know its different but its still along the lines of not trusting anyone. They werent 'testing' it either as it was already classed as a closed case.

People that play Americas Army will know using someone elses account can be seen as a crime :D

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Back It Up.

Apple often wipe the drive on repairs so as they can test the repair is good with a known good install of OSX.

5. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bill4588

dang....there goes $100....oh well at least i wont have to reinstall everything. thanks for the advice!

6. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bill4588

7. jaguarx macrumors regular

google an app called superdoper for backing up the drive, it's excellent.
    LaCie make excellent drives.

8. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

You can use something like superduper to clone your hard-drive. It's free and really easy.

Would it be possible to pull the drive from the computer? A few years ago I had a dell laptop that needed to go in for service. Since the problem wasn't related to the harddrive the tech support people told me to pull it so that it wouldn't be lost or damaged. Best part was that they sent it back with a new hard-drive too... If they'll let you pull it I would.

9. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

I just got a 160 gb drive for my Macbook, connected it via an external sata case, and used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy over my hard drive. It worked absolutely perfectly. Now I have my old bootable Tiger OS in the 80 gb stashed in the external in case I ever have a problem. Can't say enough about that CCC program!

10. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

$100 is nothing if you lose all your data! Trust me, myself and a few of my friends have "lost it all" Its a disaster.

11. andrewmulligan macrumors member

like the others said, SuperDuper is super.
    It only backs up what was modified and can back-up on a schedule. It's pretty awesome. :)

12. bill4588 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bill4588

is it difficult to back the stuff up? is it as simple as hooking it up and installing superduper?