should I be angry

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by fjs08, Dec 28, 2003.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Hi,
    I purchased a 20" cinema display from an Apple store in November. Opened it up at Christmas and found I didn't have an adapter to connect it to my Ti-Book 15". I asked the salesman what I would need and he replied that it woud just plug in. I called the Apple store I purchased the monitor at and the manager could give a rip-seriously.

So I order an adapter from one of the online companies with overnite shipping. I placed the order on the 25th and today (28th) I'm told on the phone that I will get it on the 29th. When I question how you can really charge me for overnight shipping when 25-29 Dec isn't close to overnight, the company rep tells me to call Fed Ex. No kidding.

I had to stop and think a minute. Doesn't anyone care about service anymore. And this isn't a Windows product. Apple doesn't have 97% of the business. You'd think "they" would be appreciative of the business. I called AMEX and they did rescind my shipping charge, but it's more the principal of being ripped off that upsets me!!!

Frank

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

a little, maybe

Frank, I feel your pain. Customer Service everywhere is just going south. I blame it on lack of training and employee attitudes.

As for your problem, I would be upset about the shipping. I noticed you didn't mention the company you bought your adapter from. I would assume its a no-name company as amazon, buy.com, and outpost take their overnight shipping policy seriously.

As for the adapter problem. Im curious why YOU bought in Nov and YOU opened in Dec, to find that it wouldn't connect to YOUR laptop? Was it a gift for yourself??? I was going to say return the monitor, but obviously you can't now. So I wonder why you never checked to see if it would connect to your laptop sooner.

Aside, I wonder why companies don't extend their return policy during the holidays because I am SURE that you are not the only one who bought something in Nov only to find you can't return after xmas cause of some stupid 14 or 30 day return policy.

At least amex took care of it for you. That seems to be the only industry where I get service. Probably cause they love me for carrying a balance.

3. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,
    >> I would assume its a no-name company <<

Actually, it was one of the biggie Mac sellers.

>>Was it a gift for yourself???<<

it was a gift for myself. I did ask the guy at the Apple Store about it and he guaranteed me that it would work. I hate to be a disbeliever, but I'm becoming more of a skeptic every day.

>>Aside, I wonder why companies don't extend their return policy<<

Lots of companies give you "gift receipts" when you purchase Christmas or other gift items. The monitor is sitting on my desk in front of me. It's cool. I just want the darn adapter, but this overnight thing is a pain.

>>At least amex took care of it for you. <<

I've been with AMEX since '87 and they've never failed to come through. I think their service is top notch.

Thanks for the note.

Frank

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

umm that is overnight shipping ....

you made the order on the 25th ... the order was processed and shipped on the next business day the 26th and it will be delviered on Monday the 29th the next business day .. sucks not to be able to use your display but thats the defintion of overnight shipping

5. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Since it was shipped out on Friday the 26th, it should have got to him Saturday the 27th. Im pretty sure that all of the major carriers deliver on Saturdays. I know for a fact that FedEx and Airborne deliver on Saturday

6. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

saturday is not a business day... and "overnight" could mean overnight in business day, i.e. delivery on next business day.

the sales guy was pretty crummy. you need a dvi -> adc adapter. as far as i know, that is not included in the PBs..?

7. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I've ordered things on a Friday and have gotten them on Saturdays. I know that FedEx has weird delivery days. They will deliver Saturday, but not Sunday or Monday.

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

1 being that was overnight, you have to pay extra to receive on saturday, so not point b**tching about that. also, you never clarified whether you mentioned you had a TiBook. if you didnt then he did nothing wrong. if you did then you may want to join deadlybreakfast in the murder of steve jobs in the VERY VERY PISSED at apple thread.

iJon

9. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

iJon,

I did tell the salesman what computer I was going to use it with and asked specifically if it would work without an adapter.

It surprises the heck out of me that "overnight" can have 5 different definitions depending on the company one deals with. Amazing!!!!
    And in this day and age, especially for a company like Fed Ex, or UPS or even the USPS, isn't everyday a "business day." I figure we deal in a global market here.

Frank

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

umm no, its always been business days, im not gonna sympathize with you on that one, but yeah that salesman was stupid, he didnt feed you the right info and your left with an monitor that cant work for the time beign, i take it you dont live close to an apple store since you bought the adapter online?

iJon

11. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I think Saturday is now considered a "business day". I have never payed extra to get a saturday delivery.
    :confused:

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

im still gonna have to disagree with you, saturday is not the same as the 5 day business week.

iJon

13. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Well im not really sure what Saturday is, but all I know is that they deliver on Saturdays.

A little bit off topic, but did anbody realize that UPS offers same day shipping? Im sure that most cost a fortune (https://www.sonicair.ups.com/ups/)

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

you are right, they do deliver on saturdays, but its not part of the normal business week. thats what we have been trying to say.

iJon

15. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Yeah, I understand that it is not part of the normal business week. I was just trying to point out that he (the thread starter) should have received the cable on Saturday

16. KevCo macrumors newbie

I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand. Yes they deliver on Saturday but Saturday delivery is not part of the standard overnight service. Saturday deliver is completely separate from overnight delivery.

All Fedex services except "Sameday" specify business day deliveries. Saturday is not a business day.

There is a separate Saturday service that is in additon to overnight service.

17. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

thankkkk you, but i still doubt it will sink in.

iJon

18. johnnowak macrumors 6502

My powerbook shipped on the 23rd with Fed Ex 2-day and it won't get here till the 29th.

Then again its coming from Taiwan... damn LCD shortages!

19. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Your right it hasn't. I don't care if Saturday is a business day or not. All I am saying is I ordered something overnight and it got there Saturday. I did not get special Saturday delivery overnight.....just regular freakin' overnight!

20. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Don't argue; just go look it up

http://www.fedex.com/us/services/express/us/

"Standard overnight": Afternoon delivery, next business day

Matter of fact they're all "next business day" except for their "Sameday" service. So if you get it delivered on a Saturday with anything other than '"Sameday", consider it a bonus - but don't expect it to happen.

I agree that the treatment by the salesman was sucky however. The DVI-to-ADC adapter is a listed add-on for Powerbooks (and a pricey one at that). I'd think the sales staff should know something like that.

21. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

I can attempt to clear this up as I deal with UPS and Fed EX regularly through my job.

UPS charges extra for saturday delivery vs next day air

FedEX has been known to deliver on Saturdays but I don't think its anything they gaurantee

22. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I concur. The shipping works this way, whether or not the thread starter understands or likes it. That's the way it is, and always has been.

And this is the second time I've heard of someone getting an ADC display for their powerbook and not being told about the adapter. this is not acceptable. remember, caveat emptor. tho i agree that it's sad how customer service is eroding.

paul

23. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the notes.
    >>The shipping works this way, whether or not the thread starter understands or likes it. That's the way it is, and always has been.<<

I finally received the adapter on Monday the 29th. It was worth the wait. Unreal monitor. Especially watching concerts via a dvd. With my Bose headphones, it's like being there.

>>not being told about the adapter.<<

I called the Apple store, and they had a very flippant attitude abot it.

>>it's sad how customer service is eroding.<<

I would think if I only had 2% of the market, I would try a lot harder to keep my customers happy.

But again, the monitor is up and running. Amazing piece of work!! I love it.

Frank

24. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

If you mentioned powerbook or 15 inch powerbook, but not Tibook with a VGA port, then maybe the sales guy was okay. A current powerbook will plug right in, maybe it wasn't as clear to him what you were talking about and what kind of port was on your laptop.

As far as the overnite question is concerned - sorry, but that is definitely your mistake. Overnight shipping does have a lot of definitions - and yes it does depend on the carrier. Many charge extra for delivery on saturday. Next business day is common - ordering overnight on a Friday?? bad call...

I was in an even worse bind. I had a bed delivered and the woman on the phone said that they would give me overnite delivery for free. I loved that idea and took the next day off from work. No one showed, I called and complained. She apologized and said that they were sending it via http://www.overnite.com/ - a shipping company. When someone says they are shipping it "overnight" and they mean overnite - THAT sucks.

25. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Re: a little, maybe

Many companies extend their return policies...some go from 30 to 90 days...however I think it is rare to do this on electronics. Mostly because electronics change in price so quickly they may be on clearance in Dec. when they were full price in late Oct. Nature of the industry.

ON the customer service issue. There is one reason. Walmart. There is such a demand for CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP that it is permiating everything we do. there was a great article in business week a few months ago about how Walmart is "destroying" our economy. Everyone has the Walmart mentality right now. Even great companies like LLBean, Eddie Bauer, etc. who excel in customer service are being forced to change their ways at least some what. It is not that companies don't know how to do it, but usually people don't "vote" with their wallet. If people want true customer service they need to vote with their cash. I lilke X company cause they give me customer service. I try to do this but I still find it difficult. I still shop at Walmart but try to support customer service and value added retailers as much as possible. If we don't we are all going to have to become experts on everything because there will be no sales people, so support, etc to be had. Try getting a hold of a human at Amazon.com...very tough indeed. I got a new credit card once and it took me three hours to talk to a human. Price is not the only reason to buy something, but Walmart makes us think so...even if we will have to replace that $75 TV every year and a half.

Apple does their best at customer service. I have been screwed twice by Apple, but lickily I believe in their product that I still return. I know there are many PC companies waiting in the wings to screw me over as well so I would rather support the company who makes products I believe in.

Just my thoughts.

:D