Should I Be Concerned about Smoke Damage?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by rympy, Dec 12, 2004.

1. macrumors member

I am planning on using my PowerBook on stage for live performances with our band. We want to use GarageBand for some drum loops, and pre-recorded bass lines as well. Is there any reason for me to be concerned with damaging the computer due to being in a smokey bar?
    If so, are there ways to pretect it?
    Thanks

15" PowerBookG4 1.25

2. macrumors 601

stoid

You may get permanent discoloration of the case and LCD screen, though the internals should be fine. I guess it's possible that the optical drive laser could get dirty too. Depending on how smokey it is it might be months before anything noticeable happened.

3. macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Move to CT...

No smoking in resturants or bars

4. macrumors 6502

It depends on how close you are too the smoke and how long and often the computer is exposed to it. I work at a computer store and I've seen many a computer that was fried after staying in a house with a smoker. Not only does the tar gunk up the fans, but it is conductive and can eventually short out components.

5. macrumors 6502

If you are in a smoky bar often enough to cause real damage, odds are you are making enough money to take the risk. If I were you, I would be more worried about accidental damage from drunk audience (or band) members.

6. macrumors 603

Yeah, tar and the rest of the stuff in smoke is bad for a computer, but not that bad, or nobody who smoked could ever own one and have it last more than a few days. A few hours in a bar, no matter how smoky, shouldn't make any noticable difference other than that it might smell funky for a little while afterward.

7. macrumors 68030

superbovine