Should I be paying tax? (Aust/NZ)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Nermal, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Today I bought QuickTime Pro from the Australian online Apple Store*, and they charged me GST. Should they have? It's been a while since I've bought something from Australia but have never paid GST in the past. In addition, I've never paid tax on purchases from England either. So, is Apple doing the wrong thing, or the right thing here?

*That's where they tell NZers to buy from. "New Zealand customers should fill in the address details as per usual and put NSW in the State field and 2000 in the postcode field."

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

To the best of my knowledge, you shouldn't have had to pay tax. Well, certainly not Australian tax.

3. mpw Guest

Have you contacted Apple?

When I buy on-line from Apple they charge me full price, I've then got to call them back by phone and ask them to refund my tax which they're always happy to do.

That said I think there's a difference if you not having a physical product shipped.

4. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yes. They said that since I bought from an Australian store, I need to pay Australian tax. They also said that I may be able to claim back the tax from the NZ govt :confused:

However, I think that's wrong. As I mentioned above, I've bought from Australia in the past without paying GST. If I go to www.planetdvd.com.au and choose NZ, I get a big message saying "Australian GST Exempt" :)

At $4.09, it's not really worth pestering Apple, but I shudder to think how much money they've pocketed (or the ATO's pocketed) by overcharging for the last x years. :eek: (ATO = Australian Tax Office)

5. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

You should not be paying GST. It's just like when buying from the UK we get VAT refunded.

And by putting NSW as the state you're acknowledging you live in Australia. That sounds all very dodgy! That's why when you buy from PlanetDVD you enter in New Zealand so it recognises you're GST exempt.

And although it's only $4, it's the principle of it all. Why should you be paying our tax for us? Something's not right there!!

Boo hiss to Apple Australia and the ATO. (But our roads appreciate your contribution :))

6. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I can't find an email address on the ATO website, and I don't really want to waste more money by ringing up and likely sitting on hold for 20 minutes (assuming your tax department is as bad as ours) :rolleyes:

Your roads got their contribution when I was in Sydney 6 weeks ago :p

7. Alasta macrumors regular

Alasta

I agree with others who have stated that you should not have been charged Australian sales tax. The suggestion that you can claim this tax back from the New Zealand IRD is rubbish.

Imported goods can, however, be subject to New Zealand GST and import duties depending on the value and nature of the goods. For more detail, I suggest that you check the Customs Service web site.

8. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

Nermal, you could try:

http://www.ato.gov.au/default.asp?menu=321

"A-Z index feedback"

There's an option there to put in comments and your email. It's a pity they don't have an email because in other government departments, I've found the response is really quick (except Centrelink [Social Security])

I guess Apple Australia really should refund the money. The only thing is how do we make them do that?!

9. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I replied to Apple, and mentioned that I've bought from a few different places in the past and have never been charged GST. I'll wait and see what they say before I try to fight my way into the ATO :rolleyes:

10. mpw Guest

I imagine they'll say they can't refund your GST because you put an Oz address on the invoice. I note from their site that they only deliver within Australia whereas the UK site specifically states it'll delivery to the tax-free regions of the Channel Islands / Isle of Man. I'd be willing to bet that they simply don't sell enough to NZ to justify setting up an accounts system to exempt export sales from Oz GST. You might've had a chance to reclaim from the Oz tax dept. If you hadn't falsified the invoice details, for whatever reason.

11. juble macrumors newbie

Buying from Australian Store

"New Zealand customers should fill in the address details as per usual and put NSW in the State field and 2000 in the postcode field."

Where on the ozy apple website does it say this? I was under the assumption online apple stores don't ship outside their respective territories? NZ has an apple website but it's a bit lacking in terms of the apple store - can't 'fully' custom build machines etc. Also can a NZ student get the apple education discount through the Australian Apple Store? When clicking on education/tertiary/students on NZ site it just links to the Australian site... :confused:

12. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

13. juble macrumors newbie

14. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Presumably it wouldn't work for anything that requires a physical delivery.

Are you aware that you can order custom-configured Macs by emailing Apple? Also, you can get education discounts by contacting an Education Reseller.

15. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Update: Apple Australia finally replied again, and told me to contact Apple NZ (who are a different company). Seems rather pointless, but I've done so anyway. I'll post back and let you all know how I get on.

16. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Found it. individuals@ato.gov.au if anyone's interested.

17. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

So have you been able to get an answer yet or are you still being given the run around?

18. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

19. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

Ah yes, the public service. Being someone who works in it, I feel your pain. I know the pain we cause.

Don't be surprised if after 28 days they say something like "The 14 day appeal period is now over" :p

20. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I hate the ATO, they've been irritating me for years now.

Peeks through blinds....looks carefully over shoulder.....

I don't like the ATO.

21. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I dealt with the IRD (NZ's equivalent to the ATO) today. Paid off my student loan :)D). It took about 30 seconds :)

22. inlimbo macrumors 6502

He He. No one likes the ATO. Reminds me that I have to do my income tax. doh!

23. inlimbo macrumors 6502

I can't belive NZ doesn't have an online apple store. Though I guess its good because you don't have to pay GST but you do have to suffer the currency conversion.

24. Alasta macrumors regular

Alasta

New Zealand does have an online Apple store but, because Apple doesn't have a presense here, it's run by Renaissance who are the local distributor of their products. As a result, the product range seems to be somewhat limited. See www.apple.co.nz.

Personally, I would recommend that New Zealanders deal with www.totallymac.com. These guys have efficient service and a good product selection.