Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kray

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2003
I run a number of "server" type services from my office machine including smb shares for about 15 users, phpicalendar, apache, and a few other things. I am starting to think that I might be better served (pardon the pun), by panther server, but I'm hesitant to "upgrade" my current working solution not knowing how seamless an install of panther server would go.

Can server be installed on top of an existing pather install and preserve existing users, and config files? or would it require a fresh start?

Thanks

RAS admin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2004
Berkshires, Mass.
you can install panther server on top of an existing os. Server is basically just an upgrade and it gives you a few more administrative tools. You may want to use the. maybe you should hold out for Tiger Server :D

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
kingjr3 said:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
Listen to kingjr3, if your current solution works, don't touch it, escecially if it's something that will effect more than just you if it goes wrong (which it would seeing as you are acting as a server).

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
It's working now... so keep using it for a few more months.

No reason to spend the money to upgrade to the Server version, when it's so close to the next one coming out. It would be a waste of money.

http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/tiger/

Especially since you are possible looking at the Unlimited User version at $1000, instead of the $500 10-client version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.